Tuesday 18 January 2022

From SarahHC: Senior Flight Attendant & Female Buccaneer (Sarah's Star Yacht & Caprica) (50 Points)

Hello Everyone!

Well, I had high hopes of completing three figures to present today, but truth be told … I struggled with painting 28mm. I had a panic attack this afternoon, neither of my figures were completely painted, still had basing to do and also the write up! Work definitely gets in the way of quality hobby time.

Good thing I have an ace photographer and brush advisor on retainer!

One of these figures was a 3D print found on MyMiniFactory, while the other one was a metal miniature from Curt's stores (shhh, don't tell him...).


I decided to paint the not-Rachel “Trya Olds, Cyber Detective” as Tamsin, Senior Flight Attendant & Chief Morale Officer. Keen eyes will notice that she holds an orange crayon in her hand, thus preventing MartinC or Ray from snapping the last one on board!




I used a variety of blue shades on her suit, and I’m quite pleased with my free hand light blue panels and black belt. The hair turned a little too red, I wanted more of a strawberry blonde look for MissP.



Lady Buccaneer suffered from wardrobe indecisions: I initially painted her breeches a grey colour, but I decided too boring for a swashbuckling privateer, then changed to a tan colour, then finally the glorious Snakebite Leather which looks super with the deep wine red of her coat and blue scarf and hair ties.


I will use The Lady Buccaneer as my ticket to summon Lady Sarah’s Space Yacht to travel from Solaris to Caprica, the doomed planet. Tamsin, Senior Flight Attendant and now Health & Safety Officer will surely be the DOOM of many crayon-snapping (eating?) passengers if they don't behave.

As to points, these two ladies will give me a base of 10, with another 40 bonus for the Yacht and Caprica.

Next week, I’m back to a 54mm figure and perhaps something else. Maybe enough to claim a chocolate cake, unless Natasha thwarts me!


- Sarah



Oh, wow! Captured in miniature form by another Challenger yet again! I think this is the best one yet! My immediate thought was that it was a not-Rachel figure. As for the hair colour, I do go a darker shade of red (sadly with a smattering of white these days...) in the winter, so you inadvertently got it about right.

As for the buccaneer, what a fine looking scoundrel!

Tamsin

26 comments:

  1. These look great. No need to be scared of 28 at all, as long as you have a steady hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I’m lucky I have a self-described “brush advisor” in the house :)
      But I do lack a steady hand … either due too much or not enough caffeine.

      Delete
  2. Great job Sarah! And it is indeed a drag when work, or "1 to 1" scale, interferes with the hobby...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I have visions of the house falling into dis-repair and the doggos starving because Curt&I both are busy painting

      Delete
  3. Great work on these and that book is still a work of genius

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The paint journal is my way of figuring out colour schemes and ‘how paint works’ .. prior to this Challenge, the last time I picked up a paint brush was painting a room in our first house a million years ago

      Delete
  4. Hey Tamsin,
    Thrilled that you like the not-Rachel figure, I was a little worried that I wouldn’t be able to pull it off.
    And my Lady Buccaneer is ready for all sorts of swashbuckling adventures … I hope to have some of her crew painted before the end of the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous work on both these fine ladies! I think Tamsins red mane makes for a wonderful contrast with her blue uniform

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick, the fiery red does work well.

      Delete
  6. I’m impressed with the amount of planning you do on the colour schemes, wish I could be that organised! Really pays off as the colour choices really work together, nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These turned out marvellously! It’s nice to see all their detail rather than a sneak peek across the table 😉 Your attention to the small details really shows through in your finished figures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very good entry Mrs. Campbell. Please do carry on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent work Sarah! Love the crisp lines and bright palette.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That fine duo should keep any and every crew in strict order! Good brushwork again and welcome to the world of I-need-want-this-finished-by-yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is beautiful work Sarah! I rather enjoy the nice bright colors.

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks
      The bright red ended up being a successful ‘accident’

      Delete
  12. while that female pirat really looks great Tamsin must be my favourite! Those blues are great and I wish I was anywhere as organised as you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha! Just brilliant. I love it when challengers paint one another in miniature (Not you DaveD :-P)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well done Sarah, your work continues to inspire. You’ve certainly nailed Tamsin’s aura of cute but menacing command! The pirate is amazing and you’re getting good results w the contrast points.
    Cheers,
    MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great looking buccaneer and flight attendant!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete