Wednesday 19 January 2022

From PhilH: It All Starts with a Hero at Glorantha (27 Points)

As soon as I saw the Challenge Quandrant, I knew that whatever my original plan, it would enable me to raid the part of my Hobby Stash from a long time ago in a Galaxy far far away...
Where better to start my journey but with a hero: everyone's fresh-faced Jedi wannabe Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker. This is one of...four(!) versions of Luke I have in the stash, from a much more recent screen appearance than the original trilogy.
Oh and this opening post also offers some pleasing foreshadowing as I continue my journey aronud the Quandrant, not just of more Star Wars content to come, but some specific minis as I visit a certain planet. No prizes for guessing. I've been struggling to keep up with everyone's posts this year, but it seems a few of the AHPC XII crew are on Star Wars content, so hopefully you won't be fed up of it by the end.
He's a 3D printed miniature by Skullforge Studios, who is one of the most prolofic designers of Galaxy Far Far Away and content for other universes. Star Wars .stls seem to be at the forefront of the 3D printing boom in the hobby, as everyone seeks out their nerdiest niche characters and units from decades of SW content. Having quite a few, recommend Skullforge, though it helps I offload the hard work of printing them to my brother.
He's a late entry in part because Christmas and things, and I needed to source the right 'Luke's Lightsaber green': the fifty shades of feldgrau in my rack were not helpful. I went a bit heavier on the OSL for this one, as the scene the mini is inspired by is particularly dimly lit. Watching too many YouTube painting channels recently, I've also been trying to work on my methods and approach, including thinking of lighting with a zenithal base. Its not all come out in the photos but I'm pleased with the outcome.
I believe it'll be 7 Points for scale creep Star Wars Legion scale, and 20 for a hero at Glorantha. Where next?


Phil had two posts which were in draft state until sometime after midnight in the UK, so I told him I'd post them this morning.

That's a cracking Luke figure, and the OSL looks good. 27 points sees you avoid the Great Cull.

Tamsin




22 comments:

  1. Good looking mini, I like the not-overdone OSL. Good to have you on board!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work on Luke. The green lighting is very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can hear the zzzzzz-zzzzz of the light saber. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you’ve got to make the sounds at every opportunity

      Delete
  4. That light sabre green is excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Natasha. I think it needs a little white glazed in the middle, I’ll take a pass at that sometime

      Delete
  5. Awesome Work! That black robe is great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Splendid looking Jedi!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. He’s a great sculpt of a classic scene

      Delete
  8. Fantastic job on Luke in particular the black is really well done!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christopher, very kind of you to say

      Delete
  9. Excellent work Phil! Really dig the subtle OSL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think people often overdo it so I tried to be restrained

      Delete