Tuesday 18 January 2022

From TashaH - Painting Firsts (Sarah's Star Yacht) (30 points)

 

Wow! It's been a week!

I have been working on getting my new painting room set up and it has significantly cut in to my actual painting time. Short term pain for long term gain! I was fortunate enough to travel to the city this week and acquire many more new paint colours. A new painting desk must be properly appointed! I can't wait to try them all. Perhaps I need to find a rainbow to paint. 

On to this week's submission.

A long time ago, when dinosaurs roamed the earth, I painted my first figure. I was fortunate enough to participate in an advanced learning program in school as a child. We attended regular school two days a week and then took advanced programs three days a week. I remember my favourite was learning about Astronomy at the University. I also got to learn how to do things like make ceramics. This is where I made this beauty of a figure. She isn’t a miniature, but she is a sight to behold! Measuring in at about 6 inches, she has been a part of my life since I was 9 years old. 


 

This is the first miniature I painted. She is facilitating my trip aboard Lady Sarah’s Star Yacht today to the planet, Klendathu. She is a 3D print from Great Grimoire on My Mini Factory I love the Great Grimoire prints. 





I had help with this figure. A lot of help. I had in-person, one on one instruction with the Snowlord himself! Unfortunately (and ironically) our painting lesson was cut short due to a snow storm. 
 
 
 
 


You can see how nicely Curt had me set up. I was even gifted a paint journal. You will not see my paint journal. If you wish to see how a paint journal should be maintained, please refer to Lady Sarah's Guide to Awesome and Amazing Paint Journals
 
 



 

Can we talk about how amazing these boots are? 
The details on this print are outstanding.

After I left Curt’s instruction, structure and discipline fell to the wayside and my haphazard style emerged. I retained the fundamentals (mostly!) but my go to solution of 'just keep adding more layers until it looks decent' was developed with this figure! 

When I initially painted this figure, I had an incredibly limited paint selection. I obtained the colour of her cloak by blending 3 colours of contrast paints. The owl started out white, then was grey, and finally ended up brown. Poor guy has really tough body image issues now. I gave him a nice going over with my newly obtained Nuln Oil and for that he is quite happy.
 

The points:

54mm figure: 10 points
Planet bonus: 20 points
Total points: 30

Chocolate Cake Duel: 10 points

Next week will be buggy...


That is a lovely figure, Tasha, and great to see your first ever painted "mini". Your painting is coming along nicely!

Tamsin



36 comments:

  1. Great job Natasha - excellent progress, and nice of you to share your first miniature :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg! I unearthed my first ‘miniature’ when I was returning a box of childhood mementos to my daughter. It’s now sitting on my painting desk!

      Delete
  2. Terrific work Natasha! It's great seeing your 'absolute' first painted figure next to your more recent efforts (I do like the winking eye). I like your more unstructured layered approach, especially on the owl. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m happy to know my unstructured layered approach doesn’t make you twitch uncontrollably 😏 Your help and guidance has been invaluable.

      Delete
  3. I’m pleased you’ve discovered the magic painting ingredient of Nuln Oil!

    I particularly like the back of the cloak, the different colours hint at depth and make it seem like a magic cloak instead of a boring, normal one. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kept reading about this magic Nuln Oil and I knew I must have it!

      Delete
  4. Excellent work! Good to see 54mm figures in the challenge as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent work Natasha, love the cloak. Great to see your first figure too! I expect to see you in a pair of those boots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love boots, so don’t be surprised if I show up to Game Night wearing a pair of these Peter! Maybe I’ll even have a cloak! Wouldn’t that be a look?! No owl though, I’m afraid of birds.

      Delete
  6. Well done again. I like the "ethereal" blue on the owl and top parts. It might be something else, but to me it seems little bit magical and otherwordly, in a good way, lf course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Teemu! I always think of owls as being otherworldly. I think it’s my fondness for the movie Labyrinth that cemented that association.

      Delete
  7. Great work, an Nuln Oil the savour of many a model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peter! I’ve heard many people sing the praises of Nuln Oil!

      Delete
  8. Marvelous looking mini, the layered approach works well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stuart! Thankfully the layered approach works - or I’d be out of luck!

      Delete
  9. Impressive!
    I admire her cloak and of course, the boots 😊

    ReplyDelete
  10. There's something about your choice of colours that really works brilliantly with this figure, really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another beautiful miniature Tasha. You're smooth transitions are lovely and all the more impressive considering how long you've been painting. It's wonderful you still have that figure from your childhood too! And your quadrant map is the most elegant we've ever seen :-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Millsy! I’m glad I was able to dazzle you with my sweet, sweet graphics on the quadrant map!

      Delete
  12. Splendidly painted figure, really nice work!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice. Especially for a first figure. I also like her boots.

    My late mother collected Hummel ceramic figurines. I kept a few for nostalgic reasons. They use a neat “paint on, wipe off” technique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had an Auntie that collected Hummel figures. We were never allowed to touch them but I remember just sitting and staring at them!

      Delete
  14. That’s some very nice painting on your first effort as well as on your latest one! Really love your take on the owl.
    Quite ironic though, having a paint session with the SnowLord cut short by a snow storm, isn’t it 😉

    ReplyDelete