Sunday 16 January 2022

From Kerry T - P is for Pike & Shotte. (194 points & Squirrel)

 Morning, afternoon and evening all

I assume that introduction or greeting covers all of you worldwide!

P is for Pike and Shotte

Its another lovely Sunday afternoon here in NZ and I'm pleased to say that I've managed to finish another unit this week though it was a bit of a mission having had to paint late into Friday and Saturday evenings to complete things. I wouldn't normally paint on these evenings, though I paint most other evenings and as a consequence rarely watch TV.

Its been really nice to have one of my sons come home to stay for a few days, with the added bonus that he'd agreed to jump on the ride-on today and cut the grass - so this meant that I could get out my pretend grass and so base and finish the Kings Regiment of Foote this morning. So I've finished a unit that I hadn't expected to this week. That's handy because mid week I'm away on a golf trip for a few days and have little hope of painting much in the next few days. To be honest, the break is quite welcome


I think this is the last of my Royalist infantry regiments bringing my total to 10 infantry regiments to date. I say I think its the last - I'll have to take a look at how many of the Royalist standards I bought from Flags or War!

I started collecting ECW figures almost 3 years ago when I knew I just had to have some of those exquisite Empress Miniatures ECW  figures  https://valleyboyinnz.wordpress.com/2019/05/05/oh-look-shiny-yet-another-new-project-and-other-bits/ 

As one might expect, I then discovered other equally nice figures out there and have since added figures from the First Corps, Bicorne Miniatures & Warlord Games. I've generally painted a unit here and there bumping them up or down the painting queue as the mood takes me.

These are Bicorne Miniatures Figures, I generally don't mix figure manufacturers in a unit

As one might expect from a newly painted unit - it will inevitably run away in its first game so here we go...

Flee for your lives

Not exactly a Pike block but at 12 figures I think these look respectable enough  and so have chosen to field all my units with 12 pike. I think this is the minimum I can get away with but on reflection I wonder if 16 would have been better 

Psst Don't tell Ken Reilly there's only 12 of us, so keep shuffling around lads and hopefully the bugger won't notice😄

I like Bicorne's "Musketeer at order" pose and almost wish I'd bought more (but then I suppose I would never have finished the unit in time for today!)


Finally there's the command group with their Flags of War standards https://www.flagsofwar.com/collections/ecw-royalist



I didn't know Marty Feldman fought in the ECW (guy on the right front rank - I never paint eyes but I've only just spotted that and will need to sort it)

In painting these I've tried to go for a bit of a faded red, VJ Cavalry brown, washed with Army Painter Dark Tone, then highlight with a mix of VJ Flat red and Cavalry Brown before the final highlight with added VJ Cork Brown

My plan is to use for King and Parliament Rules by Big Red Bat, with the inspiration from his work here https://forkingandparliament.blogspot.com/
Unfortunately as a solo gamer I need to collect and paint both sides

I'm definitely a fan of lots of big flags 




I like the mixture of headgear in these figures


 Oh what the hell..

Here we go here's what I have to date





So that's 38 figures I think at 5 points for a total of 190 and another Squirrel (err ahem, that's why I'm still at the bar in Sarah's Yacht pretending to eat your share of the nuts but in reality slipping them into my pocket because I should have 4 squirrels to feed by now!) 

Excuse me but would you mind passing the nuts?

______________________________

Fabulous looking regiment of pike & shotte, Kerry. Love those final shots of all your collection arrayed for battle. I'm popping in a few extra points for the brave banners. Beautiful.

Enjoy your golf getaway!

- Curt


28 comments:

  1. Impressive all around, but those final pictures really pull it all together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, wow! Lots of quality and quantity here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great looking Kings guard ! I'm thinking of doing them,as I like the flags!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. A fine looking regiment, Kerry! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great looking unit. The shots of the army as a whole look really impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely unit! Wow, the final army will look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work on this unit Kerry. Jealous of your Sun and very jealous of your table top.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely load of guys shuffling about. Army looks fab

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic! Wonderful looking collection of regiments; I only have a half dozen myself, I hope to add a few more though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really like the miniatures, especially the mass effect of your full collection! Hope they all get out to play!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great work Kerry - and big flags FTW!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stunning work Kerry! King Charles will be well served by such an admirable group. What a wonderful collection you have going on mate. I spy Gerrard's, Talbot's and Apsley's regiments amongst them, all stalwart defenders of the right and lawful order of the kingdom.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you all, you're very kind and full of encouragement. I've just discovered I have one more Royalist flag - Colonel John Lamplugh's regiment of Foote. Millsy - you are correct -there's also Hopton's Duke of York and Thellwell's regiment. I'm not sure what my next P is going to be

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great array Kerry - love what you did with the red tones and the flags work a treat

    ReplyDelete
  15. Some great vibrant colours here and kudos to your son for helping you out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Superb! A lovely unit to add to your army!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very nicely turned out figures

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely work Kerry, wrong side, but still look great ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. That’s some mighty fine work on display here!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Merry:
    I have to say this is one of my favourite entries thus far. Lots of subtle brushwork on display and it’s a tribute to the “ Faces, Bases, Flags” rule of presentation. Lots of good things here. Well done.
    MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cracking work Kerry. That red is just about spot on for the ECW IMHO.

    ReplyDelete