Sunday 16 January 2022

From SimonG: HYW Casualties & Carrion Crows for Glorantha (76 points)

My two sisters have dropped us off from Lady Sarah's Star Yacht at Glorantha where we are fated to come across the scene of a Hundred Year War battle and the unfortunate victims.

Woe is me! Yummy carrion!

Pecking amongst the slain are sixteen carrion crows -- Odin's messengers hence the link to runes and matters nordic! OK so this was a little bit of a stretch but I did need some way of working in twelve casualty markers for my 28mm Impetus HYW project.





These turned out to be surprisingly fiddly to work with (I'm not used to prone figures) and all my paint work was nearly messed up at the end when they got covered with base material dust as I bedded them into the wet base-work (again a figure on a base isn't subject to this issue.





Anyway these are all 28mm Perry metals and the ravens are from Eureka Miniatures. I do like painting feathers although at this size not too much comes out.






Anyway hopefully it will all look good on the table, I should perhaps have chosen slightly larger bases at it was hard to fit everything in.







Points wise I think that's 73.5 - 9 prone figures is 22.5 and 3 standing adds another 15, plus 16 ravens at 1 point each and the 20 point challenge bonus. Next stop Glorantha and back to my Jewish wars project with the invading Romans!


_____________________________

Great work Simon. These bases really add to the atmosphere of the tabletop especially with your addition of the ravens. I've rounded things up a bit for points. Well done!

- Curt

42 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin, I’m glad they came out well 😉

      Delete
  2. Nice to be down among the dead men

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s where the tastiest morsels are caaw!

      Delete
  3. Very nice birds! And yeah, larger bases might have worked a little better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teemu, I forgot how much space prone figures take up🤔

      Delete
  4. I like the casualty markers. I had been thinking of doing something similar with some WW2 German dead and wounded minis I have to use as Pin Markers for Bolt Action. This has inspired me to 'get cracking' on that project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was inspired by another Impetus project I saw that used multiples of ravens as similar markers (small bases with 1, 2 or 3 on them)

      Delete
  5. The ravens are a fantastic additions These look terrific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were nice to paint up, like the beady eyes in particular

      Delete
  6. Great looking casualty markers,I've gone for smaller dice!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea Iain, these are the dice sets I need for Impetus (it’s one of those fist fulls of dice rules) so adding so,e smaller ones as markers is a great idea

      Delete
  7. Those casualty markers look the business, the ravens really add a lot to the overall effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stuart -- I think I cleared out the stock on hand of ravens when I ordered those!

      Delete
  8. Great looking markers, love the ravens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter -- nice to finally get to the finishing touches

      Delete
  9. Great casualty markers - wonder what are you going to use for Impetus unit disorder markers in the game?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have some wooden chits Jez but I was thinking some smaller circular bases with discarded weapons might work well

      Delete
  10. Casualty bases are always a bit of a grim affair, but they are very useful for gaming. Clever casualty bases are therefore a welcome thing...well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Greg -- although question is do I have enough!

      Delete
  11. Lots of (to me anyway) dead Frenchies. Huzzah! Seriously though really well done and the ravens are a wonderful touch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha -- applying side specific casualty markers might be going a bit far -- I did paint up a fair mix, for some reason all my lower ranking casualties seem to have been used up elsewhere so there is rather a preponderance of men at arms

      Delete
  12. Great casualty markers, I love the idea of the Ravens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kerry -- I may need to get in some more stock of these for future use!

      Delete
  13. Very well done - adding the crows was a stroke of genius. You haven’t just nailed it, you’ve murdered it. Get it? Right, I’ll get my coat.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love me a good casualty marker (macabre I know) and you‘ve got twelve of them. With Ravens on top! Excellent work Simon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin -- maybe for my Jewish wars project I can find some vultures

      Delete
  15. A much overlooked item on our tabletops: casualties! And these are excellently done indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sander -- necessary evil in Impetus so good to have them look nice

      Delete
  16. Replies
    1. Thanks Ray, great to have such good feedback

      Delete
  17. Brilliant work Simon. Those Perry's certainly (thakfully) manage to supply us with a lot of casualties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Darrell, really missing having Perry ranges too draw from for my Jewish wars project, Victrix are rather staid in comparison

      Delete
  18. Great looking markers, a lovely addition to your gaming table 😀
    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ken -- nice to finally be wrapping up this project after two years, will be good to get it all on the table

      Delete
  19. The ravens are a great addition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barks -- they're quite smart and astute creatures I think!

      Delete