Sunday 16 January 2022

From TamsinP - 15mm Ancient Germans (278 points)

 

The Adventures Of Oscar: Time Traveller, Slayer of Squirrels and Very, Very Good Boy

Chapter 2

In which our hero escapes from the jungle but not back to home...

Row! This isn't Daddy-Curt's hobby room, but it isn't the jungle. Now let's see where we are. It's a bit cold, but not as cold as home. There are trees that look like home. Hmmm, maybe there will be squirrels here for me to slay?

Row-ray! There are! At least I think they are squirrels - hiding up trees - check!; look a bit like a fat rat - check!; bushy tail - check!; grey-brown fur - not check, they're more of a reddish-brown. Are all squirrels grey? They are at home, but maybe not in other places. I think they must be squirrels.

Row-row-row! Row-row-row! Row-row-row! Row-row-row!

Row-ray! That's four squirrels slayed!  Not bad going. Felix will be jealous of me! Now, let's explore and see if we can find some more. Maybe there'll be some over this ridge. Hmmm, a clearing - not likely to be squirrels here...but there are lots of men. With beards! Daddy-Curt has a beard - maybe he's time traveled and is with them? Oh, probably not - I have Tamsin's box so he can't be.

Oooh! They have sticks and are throwing them. Daddy-Curt throws sticks for me - I like the "fetch" game. I wonder if these men will play fetch with me?

Row-row row-row-row-row!

Errmm, they don't seem happy to see me. Some of them are running at me screaming and shouting! I think I'd better scarper, quick-smart! Great - a bush, I think I'll just hide in here and press a button on the box to get me out of here - maybe I'll get back home this time.

Ruh-roh - looks like I'm back in the jungle again...


Back in 2020 I bought "Infamy, Infamy!" from the Too Fat Lardies and planned to do it in 15mm using multi-figure bases so that I could also use the armies for Art de la Guerre. Towards the end of the year I had painted up enough Imperial Romans and Germans to field most options for Infamy, but the forces were too small for ADLG. I ordered extra figures at the start of 2021, which then sat in a box until November when I began prepping them, my plan being to upgrade both armies to ADLG size during the Challenge.


Having finished the first batch of WW2 Japanese last week, on Monday I started work on the 15mm ancient Germans. As I wanted to ensure variation of clothing, shield and hair colours I decided the best approach would be to paint everything at once. The only hitch with that plan was the number of figures - 139 of them. But I cracked on regardless. 

While I was waiting for a wash to dry, I discovered another potential hitch - I was all out of the 30mm x 40mm pre-magnetised bases I'd need for a lot of them (and also for other batches of figures due to appear later in the Challenge). As Tony from Tiny tin troops has stopped selling the bases, I needed to place an order with Warbases. To my horror, I also found that I was out of self-adhesive magnetic sheet and had to order some of that as well. The magnetic sheet arrived on Wednesday, but I was worried that the bases wouldn't arrive in time - luckily they arrived on Friday and I could get them ready for basing the figures.

Light Foot Javelinmen





These four bases take me up to the maximum of six.


Heavy Swordsmen





These take me up to 18 bases - the maximum allowed is 24, but taking that many wouldn't leave points for much else.


Medium Swordsmen


Five of the bases have six figures, the other three have seven figures. Ideally, they'd all have had seven or eight figures, but I didn't have enough (too many broken ankles, spears and swords during shipping and prep - they have very weak joints).




In theory the list allows for 24 of these bases (assuming no heavy foot are taken), but in reality these eight bases will probably be all that I ever need.


All the figures are 15mm from Lancashire Games.

For Scoring:

139 x 15mm foot @ 2 = 278 points

Total = 278 points

______________________________

Well, I'm happy that Oscar managed to get himself out of the way from these wild Germanic fellows. What an absolute horde! I'm glad you managed to get your basing logistics sorted-out as they look superb all mobbed-up, charging forward. I especially like all the varied colours and the irregular positioning of them on their bases - it really reinforces their undisciplined but individualistic character. Bravo!

- Curt



46 comments:

  1. These look so great en mass, Tamsin. Some great work here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that’s a Teutonic horde for sure! Great effect with the irregular basing and the varied colours. The concept of ordering gaming stuff and having arrive in a couple days is amusing. My orders take 3-6 weeks to arrive from the UK, and I’m lucky if I still remember what should be in the box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! :)

      I guess it helps that GB is such a (geographically) small country, so things don't take very long at all to be delivered if they are in stock. :)

      Delete
  3. Great looking figures. Makes me think I should finish my 15mm ancients

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a horde, very colorful and varied!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a delight to see these all together! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice!! Those Romans will be quaking in their sandals!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking horde of ancient Germans!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's an impressive looking tribe of warriors. They look great massed up like that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic - love the look on masse - very effective!

    Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete
  10. Incredible mass production - and mass effect. Well done Tamsin. It's all I can do to crank out a single 10mm Dacian...wow...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm able to crank 15mm stuff out easily because I'm so well practiced in the scale! :)

      Delete
  11. Lovely work Tamsin. I like how you've mixed the bright shield colours with the muted clothing (what there is of it!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! There are a fair few of them wearing next to nothing, aren't there? :)

      Delete
  12. Most men would never dream of running away from a blonde but this hairy scary lot running towards us would have most of us running for the hills, superb and very productive as well- there's nothing like a mass of 15s

    ReplyDelete
  13. Terrifically Teutonic, Tamsin, terribly Teutoburgerish!
    They may have some company on Tuesday if I get my act together.
    Lovely entry.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Padre! I'll look forward to seeing their "company" on Tuesday! :)

      Delete
  14. Blimey, these look properly scary en masse, nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cracking work Tamsin! That's quite a impressive horde you've painted up

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very well done Tamsin! Your 15mm armies are always an inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! Love the look of those little dudes crammed onto the bases! A real warband feel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! They do look good mobbed up like this! :)

      Delete
  18. Another corker Tamsin, stuff of legends!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Excellent work on those Warbands Tamsin. Or, as we say in the NE, Wor band..... I'll get me coat.....

    ReplyDelete
  20. Super job Tamsin, those big units look fantastic 👏

    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! They certainly look frightening en masse! :)

      Delete
  21. I really like your heavy swords!

    ReplyDelete