Sunday 16 January 2022

From Millsy: 28mm Oathmark Revenant Undead (195 points)

G'day All!

I'm back with some more undead to follow on from my ghouls last week. These fine reanimated fellows are the (mostly plastic) Oathmark Revenants from North Star Military Figures and they are simply a joy to assemble and paint.

They are pretty much OOTB with only one head swap on the metal hero with the two handed mace. I gave him a plastic head as the metal one looked weedy even for an emaciated animated corpse. It's hard to inspire terror when it looks like you had a run in with a head-shrinking pygmy shaman on the way to war.




I wanted 40 miniatures in total so I needed the equivalent of another 4 infantry model as I only bought 36 (one box of plastics and 6 metal characters). I'm currently kitbashing Revenant spares with the Fireforge Games Living Dead Knights to make some Revenant heavy cavalry and that kit comes with a couple of undead hounds which conveniently fill up the remaining spaces. Winner!

The paint scheme is a more complex attempt at Kev Dalliamore's efforts from the North Star Magazine. I love all Kev's work but in this instance I wanted a bit more variation in shades to I've mixed in some browns and greens, plus highlighted a lot more, especially the faces.





Finally, the banners are handcrafted from a light, open weave fabric kindly sourced by Mrs Millsy. At scale it would be ridiculously rough, and is probably what Necromancer jocks are made from which would explain the constant rage and wish to destroy everything.

All up we have the equivalent of 38 x 28mm infantry models = 190 points, plus whatever Curt deems  to be appropriate for flags made from recycled underpants. That should take me past the halfway mark to my 1,500 point goal and that's with less than a month of the Challenge gone. Happy Days!

Up next, skeleton undead and Revenant heavy cavalry or maybe more Death Guard, plus a few diversions I reckon.

Cheers,
Millsy

____________________________

Oooh, these are quite fabulous, Millsy. From their wonderfully nasty skin tone (and I say that in a good way), to the aged patina on their armour and shields, they very much look the part of a hardass undead unit. Good call on using the pooches to fill the rinks! I also really like the fallow groundwork, and that fell banner should rightfully instills fear, especially to those who know where its fabric was sourced.

Brilliant work Mr. Mills! 

- Curt


25 comments:

  1. Oh i like these guys a lot Millsy! I have some of the same figures on my workbench but it will be a bit before they appear. I was also impressed with the kit, lots of options, easy to assemble etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely looking pair of undead units!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great. Love the green patina (I always struggle getting it right) and that basing is different and great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. The patina is dead simple - just Vallejo Bronze with GW Nikalalblahblahlalala Oxide or whatever its called blothced on top, followed by a drybrush of Vallejo Bronze again to bring back the highlights where it would rub off.

      Delete
  4. I really like the armor, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your basing really sets these figures off! It all looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work on these Millsy. Love the standard, fits right in!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone! I'm really enjoying the undead.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Almost as scary as a head shrinking pygmy shaman! Spooky and effective brushwork and I love the idea of adding the doggo to the ranks!
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are really great Millsy and a good advert for Northstar - what are you using for the light grass please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Gale Force Nine GFS004 Hobby Round: Arid Static Grass

      Delete
  10. These give me the shivers, winter is coming you say? Wrong franchise? Well, whichever game they're for, they’ll cause no end of trouble, I’m sure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fab looking Revenants! Love your take on the skin

    ReplyDelete
  12. You've done this scary lot up a treat Millsy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautifully executed crisp work Millsy

    ReplyDelete
  14. You beauty! These are fantastic and the verdigris is outstanding, really makes the armoured areas pop!

    Cheers, Ross

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great looking unit Millsy 👍

    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very nice work, and I love the banner.

    ReplyDelete