Sunday 16 January 2022

From Barks: Eldar Rangers (Vulcan) (65 points)

I've always liked these classic Jes Goodwin sculpts, and found these on eBay. I like the lime green and white scheme of the Biel-Tan craftworld, and painted their coats as reversible. I'm sure they've been dwarfed by scale-creep since they were first produced in 1989!










I was googling for inspiration and found fellow-Challenger Nick's rangers. When the tears cleared from my eyes and the despair lifted I copied his wraithbone weapons.

9x 28mm: 45 points

Vulcan: 20 points

Slowpainter's ABC: J for Jes Goodwin



______________________________

Yup, I'm of that vintage that when I think Eldar, I think of Jes Goodwin's brilliant sculpts of the late 80s. Excellent work Barks. I love the multi-cam cloaks with the winding, thorny vines, and how they wonderfully set off the Rangers' wraithbone weapons (great gems too!). 

But not a skull in sight, buddy - that makes me a sad panda. :(  You. Must. Try. Harder.  I suspect a skull bomb is in our future, folks.

Stay tuned as Barks has another entry in the wings (antlers?).

- Curt



44 comments:

  1. Classic minis done very nicely JB- nice work!

    And yes, Nick's blog is filled inspiration and despair in equal measure I find! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paul! Looking forward to getting them on the tabletop.

      Delete
  2. Love these classics, I hear on the grapevine that the range are only just as we speak getting a resculpt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re right. It is hard to improve on these!

      Delete
  3. They're great, well done! I love how you've done the liner of their cloaks a different colour, and that bone colour for the guns is... *chefs kiss* 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, BBT! The two tones gave me a nice fix for identical poses.

      Delete
  4. I love the old Eldar sculpts, Mr. Goodwin's work still stands up well besides anything being produced today. Awesome work on these magnificent minis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your colour scheme, and IIRC they are pretty much the latest range even now. Somehow GW doesn't like to resculpt Eldars. Covering all the aspects might be too much for their tjinking machines. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The vine detailing on the cloaks is outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice Work Barks but we need skulls.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are iconic figures. Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Absolute classics! Great idea on the reversible cloaks, excellently executed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely classic Eldar rangers!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is fantastic Barks. As others have said, these are real classic sculpts, just great stuff, and takes one back to another era of fond 40k memories.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Barks, you’ve put a ton of work into these guys, the cloaks are the most impressive elements but you’ve also paid attention to little details like the tread of the sniper’s boot. Excellent stuff.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s just Contrast Apothecary White magic, I’m afraid.

      Delete
  13. Classic 40K metal and a cracking paint job. What's not to like? love em Barks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. No school like the old school! Great work Barks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dang mate, how did you manage to get that came scheme to look so distinctly Eldar? Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was inspired by those who have done it before me!

      Delete
  16. Cool looking Eldar, love the cloaks

    Regards KenR

    ReplyDelete