Sunday 30 January 2022

From Kerry T- P is for Prancing (120 points and Squirrel no 5)

 Morning, afternoon and evening all

I had a week off painting last week because I went away on a golf trip for a few days. What was also nice about this was that it gave me quite a bit of downtime that allowed me to catch up and comment on the huge number of stunning and varied entries that each day brings here. One of the drawbacks of painting frantically to meet a deadline is that I suspect that many of us have less time than we would ordinarily have to browse.

To those of you confined to your painting desks by the white stuff I extend my sympathy. In fact I'm going to try and cheer you up by showing what comes after winter in the following pictures. I'm taking an huge risk though - I might cheer a few of you up but I'm risking making some of you hate me 😄

One of the holes at Kauri Cliffs Golf Course in NZ


Back to the brushwork and the real reason for posting- this is my fifth unit, I'm going OK points wise but I'm beginning to fall behind on my promise of producing 12 units beginning with P. Part of the problem is of course that I'm trying to complete full units

This time P is for Prancing - as on the back of an horse

Empress Miniatures ECW Cavalry






I fell in love with Empress Miniatures ECW range several years ago, I just love the horse sculpts though the ones painted here how less dynamism that the charging cavalry



They aren't painted to represent any particular unit and I hope that when I eventually get around to painting enough for a game they will double up and can be used for either side

Many of the poses come with a pistol arm that has to be attached so allowing a bit of variation and I normally use epoxy to glue these, holding the arm in place with blu-tack while it dries. Sword and scabbard and the face guards also come separately and need to be attached.

The crinkle cut bases are from Simon Millar's Big Red Bat shop- https://bigredbatshop.co.uk/



So my Ps completed to date are Pike & Shotte, Pointy Sticks, Peasants, Pious and now Prancing, leaving Parliamentarian, Personality, Posh, Polished, Pagan, Perry Miniatures & Plastic to follow I hope.

By my calculation this should give me my 5th Squirrel and 120 points for 12 Mounted figures.

Best wishes

________________________________


Really lovely work Kerry. I've always admired these models from Empress, but have been a little skeptical with their multipart aspect (the faceguards are separate? Oh, c'mon.) Will you be using these for 'For King & Parliament' or some other ruleset? 

- Curt

15 comments:

  1. Very nice cavalry, Kerry! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely work on the ECW troopers Kerry. You will pay for the summer photos….

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I was afraid somebody might say that!

      Delete
  3. Love that ECW cavalry. My own preference is for less dynamic sculpts in horses; I like them walking or trotting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CS - Its funny, I've always liked my infantry marching or shoulder arms but in contrast I like seeing my cavalry on the move - not sure why!

      Delete
  4. Thanks Curt - Yes I plan to use FKP - or at least its been Simon's work that's been the inspiration behind this project. Ideally I should have finished more of my Italian wars stuff before being sidetracked to ECW

    ReplyDelete
  5. So envious of your weather! (sobs in winter) Great job on the Calvary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good looking horse colours, Kerry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Smashing clean work and I like the irregular edges to the bases too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I’m on the fence about the bases but I’m totally in love with your brushwork, really like the uniform colouring. Horses are ace.
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very ice work on the cavalry, Kerry. I‘d do anything rn for the weather you seem to enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look really grand, Kerry! I like the buff coats and detail on them. Sorely tempted to collect ECW from my studies, these do not help my resistance to new forces! 😑

    ReplyDelete