Sunday 30 January 2022

From Barks: Plague worms (Arrakis) (35 points)

These gribblies are from the boardgame Descent, and just want a hug and a kiss. I'm rather happy with the transition between the fleshy horrible bits and the greenish nasty bits. This was a quick wet blend with Contrasts Fyreslayer Flesh and Militarum Green. I slapped on a generous coat of each quickly, then smushed the colours together with a watery brush. Very easy. The inflammation around the gums and pustules is Vallejo Red Wash, which gives a nice pink tone for these sort of things. Over a brown base, I used some Deluxe Aqua Magic mixed with Creed Camo Contrast for water. I brushed a gloss varnish over everything, which doesn't really show up well in the photos. The final touch is UHU glue applied with a toothpick to add strands of salivary drool. Again, very easy and effective.




3x 28mm figures: 15 points
Location bonus (Arrakis): 20 points
Slowpainter's ABC: D for Descent



_____________________________________

Though icky as icky can be, these plague worms are absolutely wonderful. I've really been enjoying playing around with the Citadel Contrast paints and their contrast medium, and so I alway like seeing what others come up with for colour combinations and techniques.  I really like how you've simply used water to blend between the flesh and the green. It gives a very diffused effect, but great in this application - a very John Carpenter 'The Thing' look about it. Also, thanks for the tip on the Aqua Magic. I'm definitely going to try that out. 

Great work Barks!

- Curt


22 comments:

  1. Those look suitably icky, Barks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, superb painting, those look like they could be real!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the pustules are a bit cartoony, but I'm happy with them.

      Delete
  3. Very nice work, Barks! I'm happy I have some distance with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look disgustingly good Barks!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stuff of nightmares, Barks. So glad I looked at those pics just before bedtime, yessir, sweet dreams to me, NOT!
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So long as you don't wake up next to one...

      Delete
  6. Super gross - and awesome! Well done Barks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The bees knees! The transition between both skin tones looks superb indeed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot emphasise enough how easy it was.

      Delete
  8. Those look soon icky I want to kill em with fire! Especially the mucus icky bits! Well done!

    ReplyDelete