Sunday 30 January 2022

From Millsy: Oathmark Human Archers and Necromancer (105 points)

G'day All,

Just a small submission this week by my standards. I have a couple of other things nearing completion but rather than rush them I'll save them for next week.

I was planning to submit more undead this week (necromancer below aside) but realised I was falling into the same trap I always do - painting an entire army and then having nothing to fight against. This time round I am going to bounce between the undead and some humans so I can build both sides of my Oathmark project in parallel. Sort of my own internal escalation league if you like.

That means this week you get two units of Human Archers from the North Star Oathmark Human Infantry box set, with some head swaps from old Mordheim stuff from my bottomless bits box.



I've been super keen on these since the very first images were released. I love the strong, clear detail and they have a wonderful low fantasy feel about them reminiscent of early Warhammer Bretonnians, but better in so many ways.



Units in Oathmark range from 5-20 miniatures. As far as I can work out missile troops work best in smaller units whilst melee troops are best in units of 15+, typical of most rank and flank style games. There are another 50 or so minis already prepped on the workbench so expect to see more over the next few weeks.

The other half of this submission is a necromancer to lead my undead Oathmark army. This is a Reaper Bones miniature and has been painted twice previously.
I've had no end of issue with undercoat with this particular mini and if this attempt hadn't worked he'd be landfill by now! Luckily for him I managed to get it right somehow this time and so I present Greg the Black....

Once upon a time Greg was a happy go lucky chap with a pet raven called Mr Beaky. Having heard that "If you love something, set it free" Greg did just that. Unfortunately, Mr Beaky was having none of it and flew happily off into the sunset and was never seen again, at least by Greg.

Heartbroken, Greg fell into the depths of a terrible malaise and embarked upon a relentless downward spiral, engaging in all manner of unsavoury pursuits in a desperate search for anything to fill the aching void left by the absence of his lost raven. Years of feasting upon the souls of tax collectors and used cart salesmen have left Greg an evil, twisted man, bent only on the destruction of all living things.

So beware, lest you also fall prey to cheesy clichés, lost love and a life of necromancy like Greg the Black!

Cheers,
Millsy

_________________________

Loving all this fantasy stuff, Millsy! Those archers are excellent and, as you say, have a pleasant lo-fantasy feel about them. Their red-and-black livery makes me wonderfully nostalgic for Brendon's 'Beer & Bacon' troops from a few years back. These two forces would team up nicely. 

Now, Greg the Black looks to be a wonderfully cantankerous and fearsome character. I'm really happy you didn't bin him as the sculpt is quite wonderful, and your paintjob and autumnal basework elevates it even further. I see you've included a little Nurgle's Rot on his scythe just to tweak his nose. I eagerly await the return volley. :)

- Curt


18 comments:

  1. Nice archers and necromancer, Millsy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice work on those Oathmark Humans Millsy, love the red. And you’ve captured Greg’s cantankerousness nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To your usual fine standard matey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave. I'm curious to know if any of the other Aussies are struggling with the varnish at the moment. It's so humid here I'm finding it near impossible to get a really flat finish. Everything is coming out with a satin finish no matter what I try. I may have to invest in some Dullcote down the track

      Delete
  4. I have that exact same necromancer model and I too struggled getting an undercoat to adhere to it. Eventually a toothbrush and some fairy liquid did the job. I suspect the Reaper Bones range use some bizarre product to line their plastic moulds that really doesn't like acrylic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its great to see close ups of the Northstar figures especially when they lok as good as that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sundays are for story time! I’m glad Greg the Necromancer didn’t end up in the bin, You did a wonderful job on him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice minis and well painted, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice post and love the necromancers scroll .....the weapon looks pretty nasty too !

    Cheers Jez

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cracking humans, excellent work on painting both sides to make it easier to rope unsuspecting fellow gamers in!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the colours on the archers, solid looking unit and quite agree w you about the low fantasy feel of those sculpts, very attractive. What does the standard bearer do if he has to shoot, I wonder?
    Poor Greg, if you love something set it free, if it doesn’t come back to you, give your soul to evil. We’ve all been there. 😉
    Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
  11. About time a quality necromancer showed up to take control of that otherwise shambling mass you had been working on Millsy :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very well done, Millsy. That Necromancer looks ace

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really like those archers, Millsy! I had to look hard, but the old empire bits do blend nicely with them. Spectacular work on the bones necromancer! The detail on him and the scroll are really good!
    I have issues with the bones line too. Now I not only bath and scrub them with a toothbrush but also primer them. Flat Krylon spray works really well. I use the fusion line that bonds to any material.

    ReplyDelete