Sunday 30 January 2022

PeteD Forest and Swamp Fauna (30 Points)

After an unexpected two weeks of painting at the start of the Challenge due to canceled travel plans, I promptly lost two weeks after coming down with COVID.  I am just getting back at the paint brushes now and banged to finish off some bits and bobs that were 95% finished three weeks ago.  I have a bunch of 28mm critters from Wizkids aimed mainly at TTG based on my Beowulf RPG campaign.


A Troll, a bear, a stag and two boars walk into a clearing.

First up is the Troll.  Like my goblins, I left his basework rocky and without greenery so that he could operate underground.

He really should see a Dermatologist about those warts.

 For variety, I used some autumn foliage as well as green to represent the fact that some bushes aren't as healthy and turn colour earlier than others.  I'm not sure I am sold on it.

One of my players decided it would be a good idea to pick a fight with a sleeping bear in a barrow so he could get the treasure.  Results were predictable.

Boars are a pretty iconic Dark Age challenge, and are tasty eating too.  

There's some pretty good detail on these Wizkids sculpts and I am quite pleased with how the Stag turned out.

I went down a Wikipedia rabbit hole checking colouration on Red Deer.

l have been quite pleased with the Wizkids sculpts, good detail and many of them paint up nicely.  The regular forest fauna will do double duty on TTG RPGs and for historical games.  I like to use animals as dummy markers.  "Captain those suspected French dragoons turned out to be a deer and a couple of boars".  Points wise it's always a bit of a challenge with non-human figures.  I'd suggest treating the Troll as a 54mm foot figure (he is about that tall) and the others as 28mm foot figures, but will accept the Snowlord's judgement.  No location points on this lot as I've completely lost the plot on that front and don't want to do a Ray fitting a round peg in a square hole.  The Troll would count towards the Fantasy duel. 

_____________________________

Lovely assortment of figures, Pete. It's always great to have some woodland creatures available for games as many of them can work in so many periods. The troll is terrific with his greebly green skin and lank hair, but the pick of the group has to be your stag - wonderful work that, and nice basing as well.

And with this I see that you're three fifths of the way to your target Peter. Excellent work, mon ami!

- Curt


27 comments:

  1. Smashing set of figures, that troll is particularly nice and would fit in wonderfully as a surprising dummy marker in your games, especially if there is a bridge over a river to scout……!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice Prof D, I especially like the Red Deer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miles. It painted up better than I expected

      Delete
  3. Good looking wild life Peter! You might want to try to make a small area of bush in different color, one branch brown in otherwise green bush. That happens in real life, the whole plant/tree doesn't change the colour at the same time. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teemu. Good idea on the variegated colouration on a bush.

      Delete
  4. Lovely animals, Peter, well done. Always happy to see a bear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice work Peter. You rarely see such critters in our games, which is a shame imho

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nick. I agree they add to the table dressing.

      Delete
  6. I love how that stag looks, Peter!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work, Pete! Love the troll and the critters. The basing is really good, you can almost see the Northern forest they are dwelling in with bush clumps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much David. Im pretty happy with them.

      Delete