Wednesday 19 January 2022

From PaulSS: 36th Pennsylvania Volunteers (92 points)


More ACW for the collection, this time the 36th Pennsylvania Volunteer Regiment, made up of Crusader Miniatures picked up from North Star.


It's a fairly small range that is often overlooked, but it's giving some nice variety to my forces that were previously all Perry Miniatures.


They are a little thinner than the Perry figures but do mix well on the table, but, I'd not have them in the same units.

The standards are from the Flags of War range and I've managed not to fog them this time. 


When there is a trim, like on this pair I do like to cut a few notches out of it and leave the edge a little less tidy. The fringe is then repainted in bronze, then gold with some thin black lines added so it looks like a fringe rippling rather than a solid block.
 

I saved a couple of bare footed figures from the Fighting 69th I added last time, this is probably a better shot of one of them. Don't fancy walking over that patch of rocks before him though!



Eighteen 28mm foot figures with two standards should add 92 points to the board for me.

American Civil War Duel Totalizer: 87 foot (504pts)

Napoleonic Duel Totalizer: 8 foot, 2 mounted (100pts)

***

More incredible ACW output Paul, very nice. It is a credit to your painting style that, absent you pointing out the different 28mm ranges you make use of, it would otherwise all strike me as coming from the same range of sculpts - very, very nice work - again, the smooth blends, but still strong highlights. Great stuff. 

GregB

35 comments:

  1. More nice ACW figures Paul. I like the Crusader lines, I find that they are not as flashy as other ranges but they paint up very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Peter, I really like the Crusader stuff too.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the tip on the trim. It’s a small thing that makes a noticeable difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Paul:
    They look grat, a very determined bunch of lads and you're selling this ACW fan on the Crusader range. You make them look tempting.
    I was at a reenactment once which took place on farmland where the corn had been taken off a month ago and there was still corn stubble in the field. Some young "hardcore" lads had tried to go barefoot and their feet were badly cut by the corn stubble. I guess calluses were harder in those days.
    Really enjoying your ACW output.
    Cheers, Mike P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike, we have surprisingly soft feet despite all the Lego we get to stand on.

      Delete
  4. @GregB thank you, I'm back slapping the paint on some Perrys' now, I think I notice more difference between painting plastics and metals than I do different manufacturers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yet another great regiment for your collection, Paul! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Smooth as ever, I like that flag trick!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Splendid looking Union regiment!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice unit, very clean brushwork that I can only aspire to!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely looking regiment Paul. Great idea adding in a few barefoot recruits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Curt, it's usually barefooted rebs, so it's good to see some Union ones

      Delete
  10. Good blues. Love the barefoot rendition. Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent work, lovely clean brushwork

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great looking Unionists. Lovely variety, well painted!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very well done Paul! Those barefooted guys made me wince though… wouldn’t want to go on marching for days on end on my bare feet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do like the barefoot detail.

    ReplyDelete