Wednesday 19 January 2022

From GeorgeS - French Algerian Zouaves 1:32 Franco-Prussian War (93 points)

      Hello everyone!  No progress on the map this week. I like to stay some more days on Arda to prepare my journey's next stop " Vulcan"  . My trooper for that expedition is almost trained but not ready to present yet..

      So just for some points, I present today some 1:32 Armies In Plastic figures. I'm not 100% satisfied with the sculpts but this is known about AIP figures. Though the sculpt af AIP figures is a bit coarse and not fully realistic, it is very nice for Toy Soldiers and it is the only brand that covers so many eras and topics.

     

       These are French Algerian Zouaves from the Franco-Prussian war 1870.  Painted in a High "Toy Soldier" standard. The bases are not decorated 'cause they are going to be part of a Diorama base , so they will be covered in place. I've just painted them black in order to decently present them here. 




   

 That's all for now. Next week my spaceship will move again to a trip to Vulcan.

so, till next time...

Keep Up The Brushes!! 

****

You know what is great abouve Zouaves? EVERYTHING, THAT'S WHAT. Reviewing this is soothing to the hobby soul after two hours of removing 20cm of snow from my walkway and driveway. Zouaves - especially the real French ones - always look so cool on the table, no matter the scale. The brushwork here is fabulous to boot. Well done George.  I'm awarding bonus points because I love the Franco-Prussian War period, and I can do that sort of thing as a minion.

GregB

33 comments:

  1. Different painter, similar smooth and clean style. A bit toysoldierish, but looks good on the table. Is the diorama going to be ready during the Challenge?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Different painting style and figure's type but the painter is the same...lol! It is not going to be a real diorama. Just a wooden base decorated (dirt, grass tufts etc.) to display the two groups. Now I'm working on the Prussians. I will post some pics of the diorama when it's done.

      Delete
    2. Hi, I meant to compare you to PaulSS's paintings, which I have been calling clean and smooth during the day, but of course this "narrative" is not very clear to others than me. Sorry for the confusion. :)

      Delete
    3. Haha..no poblem my friend :) Thanks again!

      Delete
  2. Really nice! You've executed that style perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous looking zouaves!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful brushwork George! Frankly, you had me at 'French Algerian Zouaves'. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Curt! I cannot believe I did better job than you did. Where I can find yours?

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the nice words and the extra points Greg! Next Wednesday I'll have the Prussians also ;)

    PS: Good luck with the snow job. It's a good work out :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are superbly painted George.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You really captured the period well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great job. Zouaves turning up in so many fronts. These look superb.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You had me at 1:32 old school shiny, the fact that they are Zouaves is a bonus. The painting is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello George:
    My goodness what lovely figures, they have a wonderfully vintage look, as if found in an attic. Your brushwork is first rate, especially the officer’s blue tunic, and the faces are charming.
    Lovely stuff. Cheers, MikeP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mike! This sculpt doesn't give you many choises. Classic Toy Soldier style was the best way to make them "Shine". With a bit of realism on faces and parts here and there.I really enjoy it :)

      Delete
  11. Many thanks to all of you for your great comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely work on these "toy soldiers" George.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very neat and clean painting, love the toy soldier style. And zouaves are always awesome! Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  14. They look excellent! I usually don’t really get the fascination for old school toy soldiers, but I quite dig your take. Please don’t gloss varnish them though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sir! I always seal with matt varnish. Sometimes if I spray a lot it becomes a bit satin but is accepted for that style. Certainly not glossy! ;)

      Delete