Monday 9 January 2023

From AdamC Ships Small and Smaller 14 points.

 Some more 1/2400 scale ships from GHQ.

First up some Leone class Italian destroyers (they were first classified as "Scout Cruisers" when built).
They supported Italian Operations against Ethiopia then served in the Mediterranean the class was well armed a mix of 4.7 inch guns, torpedoes AA weapons and depth charges.  Editorial Note:  Wikipedia has them being sunk in Eritrea during WW2 - FYI the Red Sea flotilla gives a nice small campaign option.
The red and white aerial recognition paint at bow and stern are iconic for the Italian Navy... A force that apparently feared their own sides aircraft more than the enemies (they were allied to the Nazis so I can't really blame them) 
Here we have an old American Dreadnaught the USS Wyoming.  
She's a 3D print and fairly basic but looks good enough for the table. She has a formidable main battery of twelve 12" guns in six turrets.
No idea what I am going to use her for but since I was using gray paint anyway it made sense to get her done. She was a training ship in the World War II period with the cool if sarcastic nickname of "The Chesapeake Raider."
Next up I have two Japanese Destroyers. Kagero and Shimakaze
The Kagero class where the 1st class workhorse Destroyers of the Japanese Navy. They had six guns in three turrets as well as 8 torpedoes. 
They also carried anti-submarine weapons... All but one of this class was sunk by the end of the war.
Shimakaze was an specialized destroyer something of an experiment. She was fast and very deadly.
She could fire 15 Long Lance in a single broadside... I certainly wouldn't want to be in a ship down range. She also carried a battery of guns similar to the Kagero. She was intended to be the basis for a new class but war production limitations prevented this. 
Finally two big Allied Battleships a King George V and a South Dakota class.
I've run a number of games involving German raiding of the Murmansk Convoys. It will be nice to have an English BB to run in these games. The King George V were a good Battle ship design though I have never liked the 4-gun turrets and I understand they had some technical issues. 
I attempted a dazzle camouflage that I think works though it could be better. 
The South Dakota Class is a personal favorite of mine probably because the USS Massachusetts was the First Battleship I ever visited. 
This one will probably do double duty as the South Dakota in company with the USS Washington (already in my collection) and as the USS Massachusetts as I have been toying with a naval battle of Casablanca game.

There are 7 ships of 1/2400 scale so would get 14 more points for the pile. I have been battling COVID this past week so hopefully I will have more productivity next Monday. 

Bad luck with getting COVID Adam, hope you're feeling better soon and you that you manage to keep the family healthy.

Great to see these GHQ ships Adam, they've come out nicely.  The barber stripes on the Italians are a bit of a Challenge but yours look great.  You seem to be building all the fleets at once and darned if I can see any rhyme nor reason to the choices that you've made.  Care to enlighten us or is the classic - they're what my FLGS had in stock!

If I may pick a couple of slight nits.  Maybe red through your posts as I had to clean up a couple of sentences and hope I got the gist of what intended (although to be fair this may be COVID brain).  Also your ships would look much better if you photographed them on a sea mat instead of your work bench.

12 comments:

  1. @Peter Apologies I certainly had some Covid Brain going on. There is no particular rhyme or reason here they were a gift from a friend some leftovers he didn't need they did fill in some gaps in my collection so I decided to go with them. I must confess I have no idea what I am going to do with some of them but at least they won't take up a lot of storage space :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Splendid looking ships, I always enjoy your ships in the Challenge!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are more to come though not to the same extent as previous years.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful painting there. Get well soon though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great work on those

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely ships - what sort of actual size are they?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are some beefy battleships!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to see your little ships again, Adam! Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete