Monday 9 January 2023

From Edward G - My first post, two 28mm chaps gone a Viking in Black and White [30pts]

 Hello all!! 

I'm very very happy to be back for my third challenge, it's such a wonderfully inspiring event every year :) This year is certainly the most challenging for me to date. Long gone are the dreams of beating my +1000pts total from challenge 10. This year not only do we have the doggo to keep me busy, on the 3rd November our little family welcomed our son, Frederick Peter, into the world. And while he's wonderful in every little way, he does keep us busy and target reduces hobby time :D

To kick off this year, I had planned to start the tour of the great film lot in Under Construction, but with a personal deadline of this Monday looming, I realised the minis would themselves still be under construction. So I dived into the lead pile, looking for some pre-primed minis that could be painted up in a couple of hours. With luck, I found these two chap. Both are Reaper mini metals from a long long paused Saga project. I decided that as these chaps were from the venerable depths of my lead pile (deeper than the 10yr country+house move re-boxing strata!) that these two should most certainly appear in black and white!

Without further ado, I present this years retro smash hit...(with a poster made by AI image generators, amazing, but also honestly rather scary that machines can do this. Soon they will be painting our minis for us!) 


Staring Olaf Olafson




And Ulric Ulricson




With amazing scenes and captivating dialogue such as:


Olaf: "Ulric, why is your left-hand axe bent?"
Ulric: "Why isn't your left-hand axe bent?! It is all the rage down in Oslo don't you know."
Olaf: "oh, I don't have a left-hand axe"
DUMM DUMM DAAAAA!!!!

Back to real life, I hope that this year my photos are better than previous years. I am trialling a new system in the basement, which my wife describes as "Quite a set up", so I believe she approves. I might need another lamp for the opposite side, so I will see where in the house I can grab one for the next photo shoot! 



As for points, I hope my maths is correct in counting the following:
- 2 x 5pts for 28mm foot figures = 10pts
- Location bonus for Black and White = 20pts
Total = 30pts


All the best until next time!
Ed

Great to have you back posting this year Ed and congrats on the new arrival.  Wishing you lots of joy and sleep.

Fine work on these venerable Reaper metals they came out nicely in their greyscale.  While I know they were banged up to meet a deadline I can see these appearing as undead in a DnD or similar game.  Your photos came out well.  Good luck raiding the house to improve the lighting.  I find that if I filch something that my wife will notice, sometimes it prompts a trip to Gnome Depot to pick top something that she thinks will work way better for me (and sh'e normally right).

8 comments:

  1. Welcome back to the Challenge, Ed, and congratulations on the new addition to your family. Great looking greyscale vikings. Love the poster!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work Ed and congratulations on the new addition

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations and a nice pair of greyscale vikings!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice greyscale and welcome back, Ed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some fine b&w vikings, and congratulations on the birth of your best miniature yet!

    ReplyDelete