Monday 9 January 2023

From DarrelH: Arthurian Welsh (70 points)

Hi all,

OK, my first choice of posts went belly up last evening when I dropped a couple of bases of 28mm  Thematic Byzantine Kavallaroi an inch or so onto my workbench and pinged out three kontos (Kontoses? Kontos'? Whatever is plural for Kontos!)) ! Not exactly a great start! Dark images of the Great Varnishing Late Roman Disaster from last year started to intrude upon my thoughts but my Arthurian Welsh came to the rescue! I've been asked to take part in the play testing of some new rules which seem to work well for the 11th CE. so going on the assumption that jumping back a few centuries ought to work just as well I have dug out a few armies that surely qualify as being a part of a pile of shame as they were bought in 2007 and have not seen daylight since! "Shame and eternal shame, nothing but shame!

Those Thematic Byzzies will be rescued by this time next week. In the meantime, please let me introduce a less effective troop type than the Thematic Byzantine Kavallaroi, the Welsh Skirmishers for my Arthurian British and Welsh Kingdom's army, erm.... gang..... erm belligerent group of..... meh, whatever.....





So, according to my mid life grey matter that is 14 28mm miniatures at 5 points a model which I believe is the grand total of 70 points(?).

I feel your Kontos pain Darrel - Ouch!  It is great to have you back with us this year and I look forward to seeing those cataphracts next week.  It is never too late for a post from you.

Find work on these belligerent Welshmen - some exceptional shading on those cloaks and a fine moustache collection. 

20 comments:

  1. Nice slingers, Darrel! :)

    I think (but happy to be corrected) that the plural of kontos is kontoi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin. Now I think about it, Kontoi is almost certainly correct. Dunno what happened there- no doubt a mid life brain fade to blame :>)

      Delete
  2. They look great Darrel

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice valleyboys Darrel, your painting is always so clean and fresh I have no idea how you manage it, I doubt anyone paints better

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OCD and ADHD is probably responsible to some degree- I'm not joking either. :>)

      Delete
  4. Nice clean painting there Darrel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry for the Kontos (Kontoses?) bue a cheer to these slingers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anibal. I think Tamisin hit the nail on the head with with Kontoi.

      Delete
  6. Sorry to hear about your kontoi. Thematic Byzantine always makes me chuckle. However, there is nothing laughable about these fine Arthurian Welsh. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Me too when it comes to Eastern Roman Greek!

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous Welsh lads, Darrel. I can almost hear them singing from across the pond...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Consider the thought of them all belting out "Men of Harlech" now LOL

      Delete
  8. Splendid finish on your Welsh skirmishers! I look forward to your Byzantines next week!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Iain. Me too re: Thematic's. They're my main focus.

      Delete