Monday 9 January 2023

From RossM: 6mm Greek Bolt Throwers 8 pts

They say that at a beginning is a delicate time, well as this is my first post for AHPC XII it is indeed that. The pictures below are of 6mm Greek Bolt Throwers from Baccus Miniatures and are not the 15mm EIR Legionnaires originally planned for this post


It always amazes me how much detail that 6mm figure producers can show in their product and these are no exception. The actual bolt throwers are two part kits easily assembled and I even managed not to glue myself to them - it's happened before on bigger kits to be fair. 

On the tabletop these may seen as hard hitters however in terms of points for the challenge they are the first step of many. What is important is that they are that first step allowing more to follow. 




Based on 40mm squares for DBA and ADLG these will be a part of the ongoing Macedonian and Punic Wars project that has been bubbling under for several years now. 

As my first entry these 6mm warmachines and crew will net 8 points (1.6% of my challenge total). 

Looking forward to picking up some pace now on the painting front and working on both those pesky EIR Legions and some 28mm Wars of the Roses Men at Arms for future entries. 

Cheers for now, Ross

Ross Varus where are my Legions?!?!  Please excuse the Brian Blessed moment.

Lovely little bolt shooters Ross, they turned out very well and you've based them nicely.  They should do good service clearing Scythians from river banks, as Anti-Elephant weapons and skewering Cataphracts.  There seem to be a lot of varied Ancient and Dark Age Late Antiquity/Early Medieval projects on the hoof this year which is always great to see.  

I heart you on the fiddly little bits and gluing fingers together challenges.

17 comments:

  1. I like 6mm scale. I like big weapons. Therefore, I really like your posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers! Its a great scale to give the illusion of massed units. Still wish I'd started woth 6mm for Ancients rather than 28s...

      Delete
  2. Great looking Greek war machines, Ross!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice tiny artillery, Ross! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin, the next two are slightly bigger.

      Delete
  4. Great start to what looks like a fun project

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its an interesting project at this scale and looks very different than the same at say 15mm

      Delete
  5. Lovely teeny tiny bolt throwers, I usually stick my fingers together when I get the super glue out, or leave a layer of skin on the miniature!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that feeling well Iain and have several pieces of skin attached to different artillery pieces across the ages.

      Delete
  6. So many tiny scales.. what are these.. armies for ants???? 🤔😏 Wonderful stuff here. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Only 98,4% to go then! However, for the lover of the tiny miniatures in me this entry makes your Challenge a succes already. Very fine small scale delicacies, Ross, excellent stuff!

    ReplyDelete