Monday 9 January 2023

From PaulSS: Under Construction - WWII US Infantry for O Group (122pts)

 

When O Group came out  I was very interested in playing, but none of my 28mm collections would work without a serious expansion of forces. 

Over the past couple of years I've been playing Seven Days to the River Rhine using 1/144 scale and have built up quite a collection with lots of terrain, so, when I saw that Victrix had released a load of WWII stuff in this scale I decided to do O Group with these as I already had plenty of suitable terrain.


My first foray into this "Under Construction" project is a set of six patrol markets that are used in O Group and an infantry company comprising a HQ and 9 sections of infantry.

Here are a few close ups of the troops posed in front of some Battlescale buildings I painted last year.


In O Group the scale appears to be about 1:2 so my infantry sections are four figures on a 30mm round base.


One pack of the Victrix US infantry provides enough figures to deploy a battalion of infantry with several support options. I've ordered some guns and tanks from Pendraken to add some heavier support to the force.


For the patrol markers I used a pair of figures on a 20mm base


I've also picked up a pack of the German infantry and the plan is to have enough painted for a game by the end of the challenge.

51 12mm infantry with the location bonus should be 122 points and another Squirrel point.

Squirrel Duel Tally: 3 (40K Kroot, Gaslands, WW2 US)


Some very fine painting on these small scale WW2 figures Paul.   You have created some nice little vignettes and they fut well with those luuuuvly buildings from last year.

 The 12mm scale is a new one to me although I had some Western Desert stuff in 10mm and found that it gave a good balance of detail and price.  Will the Pendraken stuff fit ok, I thought their work was all 10mm?

Sylvain has been threatening us with O Group so I'm looking forward to giving them a go and interested on hearing how other's game go.  I am really hoping that you get your two forces to a point that you can given us an AAR before the Solstice.


13 comments:

  1. Great stuff, not played O group yet but plan to in the coming month. I do like the 12mm they look great

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking markers, Paul (and a picturesque set of row houses too). Our group is keen to try O-Group as well, so hopefully this gives Sylvain impetus to get his stuff done for us to try it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 12mm really provides lots of details and your buildings look lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great stuff, I really want to learn to play O group

    ReplyDelete
  5. Splendid looking 12mm troops!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really nice figures, a bit larger than 10mm gives them more opportunities for details

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look very nice, Scrivs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like the look of these, Paul, you’ve created a nice series of vignettes this way. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those 12mm are very well painted. I have been playing OGroup for a year now and have become my second (after Chain of Command) favourite set of rules for WW2. 28mm minis are not right for OGroup (unless you have a gigantic table), I'm playing with my old plastic 20mm-1/72 and it's working fine. However, smaller scales (15, 12 or even 6 mm) are a better fir for this game

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all.
    @Peter they work fairly well with Pendraken, the Victrix ones are a little taller and slighter, but don't appear too different. I'll post a comparison shot in a later post.

    ReplyDelete