Tuesday 31 January 2023

From BenitoV: More Dark Age Warriors ... and the Casting to Choose their Leader (65 points)

Another Tuesday, another submission. I continued this week nurturing  my Dark Ages warband, adding a second unit of warriors.


As in my post last week, these can fit in several of the Dark Ages Saga lists: Viking or Saxons or even acting as lightly armed troops in an El Cid/Reconquista film fighting the invading Moors.

 


The models are from the Gripping Beast plastics Dark Age Warriors box, straight from the sprues without any transformations or combination of pieces from other thematic boxes of the same range. The shields are transfers provided by Little Big Men Studios (I don't have the ability as other Challenge participants to hand paint shields, sorry).


My Saga warband is now half way through. I have a Levy archer unit (12 models = 1 Saga point) and 2 warrior units (8 models each = 2 Saga points). I'll now only need to paint a Guards unit (4 models = 1 point) to complete an starter 4 point warband, which hopefully will be finished for the next week's submission.

Ah! ... but I hear you saying: "not only the Guards unit is missing. You'll also need a leader"... No worry! ... this is in the second part of the submission today! 

I am actually organizing a casting in the Casting Couch Studio for that matter ... and ladies and gntlemen let me introduce the first candidate to become the warband's CEO


The model is from the Gripping Beast Saxon Thengs box. Another excellent value for money acquisition: for 25€ you get 44 warriors in chain mail with a dozen alternative heads  and potential to be  armed with swords, lances or axes.

 


The base is scratch built using a large flat stone I found in the garden of my apartments building and modelled (á la old school) with paper soaked in water and white glue.

 



With today's post I'll be adding 65 points to my Challenge score:

8 x 25 mm Dark Age Warriors @5 points each = 40 points

1 x 25 mm Saxon Thegn Leader @ 5 points = 5 points

Bonus Casting Coach Studio = 20 points 

Total = 65 points 

 


 

Another smashing batch of dark age warriors from you, Benito! 

Tamsin

  

39 comments:

  1. Lovely work as always Benito. Nice clear lines on the Warriors nut really taken by the purple cloak and glided helmet trim on the warlord.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look very fine again, Benito! Your leader is a very nice figure, I love the cloak and the base especially.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful work, Benito. I can sometimes manage a shield device, but I prefer to be lazy and use the wonderful decals available today. And bravo on the commander, he looks suitably heroic and imposing on his boulder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He should hold tight as there are some competing candidates coming over the next weeks

      Delete
  4. Grand work, Benito! While I quite like the troops, your prospective CEO looks great with that embroidered purple cloak!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The C-suite is the place for knives to spill blood, I'm afraid he'll neeed to sit tight to keep the post

      Delete
  5. Great work on that leader's cape -- a neat and very well done design

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely work here. I bet that leader base means he doesn't fall over

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done benito, I'm an LBMS fan too, life is too short for shield painting

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good work, Benito! Reading through your story I was expecting to see more than one commander on the Casting Couch, so there would be something ro choose from. Would have been a great idea, anyone can steal this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I understand correctly the "ruls of engagement" of this edition of the Challenge, you can visit the studios as many times as you want. I'm planning to kep posting different potential leaders and organize a poll in Twitter to chose one C-in-C

      Delete
  9. Splendid dark age warriors and leader!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice work mate. I have a bunch of these to do and you've inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoyed seeing these - thanks! Great painting and basing.
    Cheers JezT

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent Benito. I really enjoy the armor detail on the warlords armor and helmet. Very heroic on the hillock address his force.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice shading on all the folds and creases on those minis. Seeing your excellent work just might be the tipping points to gets some of these. Did someone say, "Squirrel!"? :^D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. As I said several times, the GB plastics are probably the best value for money currently offered in the market

      Delete
  14. Great work on those, your commander looks suitably impressive

    ReplyDelete