Tuesday 31 January 2023

From MattW: Legio XI (331 points)

 Legio XI

Well last week I nearly hit my goal points for the challenge, but I failed to complete the shield decals and complete the hand painted vexillum and shields on the Centurions.  This weeks entries will I blow it out of the 1000 point goal out of the water. The Roman legion I have been working on since the beginning of the challenge commenced is more than half way ….I still need to complete another four Cohorts to complete the legion but need more command figures to do this and some may also get posted later today, so when the commands arrive I will return in a few weeks to complete the legion. 


May I present to you the XI legion

XI legion Commander, legate, guard and prisoner 




Mounted Auxiliary Commander, equestrian order


I Cohort and Eagle 




II Cohort



III Cohort





IV Cohort 




Points
Command                         20 points
Mounted                            10 points 
Cohorts                              45 x 5 = 225
Cohort 4                             14 x 5 = 70
Hand painted shields and Velixiums. 3 + 3 = 3 points?

Total points  328 points 
 
Cheers
Matt



That's a lot of lovely work there, Matt! I'm not sure what they taught you at school, but at mine we were taught that 3 + 3 = 6! So, that's 331 points for you!

Tamsin

42 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Cheers, I has been a bloody slog, I do not recommend attacking 80 odd legionaries at once… and to think I still have more to do then the rest of the Auxiliaries

      Delete
  2. Great work Matt -- love that command stand especially and these WF figures are nice and chunky and come out very well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, all foundry metals mate. The WF are in my upcoming Republican Legio in March at this stage

      Delete
  3. Wonderful work on the EIR types, love the Dacian fighting armour on the guy in the command stand and the shields rock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I have mixed in the Dacian armoured types as the 11th were fighting the Dacians a lot.

      Delete
  4. Well done Matt. Always love to see Romans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I love them, I have 5 roman armies….this will be six

      Delete
  5. These look great. I love the little face on the staff in IV cohort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I like them too, I originally had it brass, then cruising the web I seen a reenactment group with a imagio and it was painted so here it is.

      Delete
  6. Great work Matt, very productive

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a bit of a slog to stay focused

      Delete
  7. Lots of Romans in one post, Matt! Very nicely painted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Teemu, I have another three cohorts almost done, need some more command to complete the legion though. I need to pick up some foundry at Hammerhead in March.

      Delete
  8. Wonderful work Matt, and I'm delighted that you've achieved your initial target for the Challenge. Onwards and upwards!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, first time I have surpassed my goal, but after last years disaster I thought a smaller goal would take the pressure off.

      Cheers
      MattW

      Delete
  9. These are very cool, top work

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous looking Romans!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice indeed. The plaid on the kneeling captive is excellent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Millsy, I have four hundred of his mates on my blog with a further two hundred to paint over this coming year

      Delete
  12. You can't go wrong with some Romans, soe ially when as well painted as these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Sander, I did elect to do eyes, and finger nails on personalities… I think I am becoming crazy in my old age

      Delete
  13. Nice brushwork on the Roman's, Matt! I like the command vignette.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you David, I have two more, the emperor, a impetus camp, plus some Roman camp dioramas to do

      Delete
  14. Excellent work. The captives clothing really pops against the kit of the Romans. All super nice.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! That's a lot of good looking Roman. The mini-diorama of the captive Celt is top notch. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Frederick, I do like to do little things like this for commands. You will love my Republican one coming up in a month or so.

      Delete
  16. Fabulous stuff Matt! I really need to find an excuse to come visit and play with your wonderful figs! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are looking smashing, well worth the effort!
    TomC

    ReplyDelete
  18. Excellent work, Matt! I really like the vignette with the captured barbarian and the imaginifer.

    ReplyDelete