Tuesday 31 January 2023

From SimonG: A Bone Knife Wielding Lyctor for Lady Sarah (27 points)

Short week this time around as I was away from my painting table for the last six days but rather than skip a week I wanted to offer up the promised ride in Lady Sarah's limo to take us from the World Cinema studio to the 1980s.  The conductrice in this carriage is my take on Cytherea the First, possibly one of the most powerful necromancers that has ever existed.



As before this is another Descent Legends in the Dark villain but the figure resonated with me as one of the characters in Tamsyn Muir's Locked Tomb series.  Great stories with some way out crazy themes but you will need a permanent link to the wiki to understand what's going on!  

Originally I think this figure had some pronounced "bone spurs" on her face but I carefully cut and sanded these off as I felt they didn't really do her looks justice.  In the Locked Tomb series the necromancers can generate bony protuberances at will as weapons so I had no worries taking these ones out while leaving the others around her hips, knees, shoulders and elbows! Sounds quite uncomfortable!




Anyway it's a great figure and I thought she deserved a designer dress so the inspiration for the skirt is this Pucci fabric design (ps I don't get any kick backs if you make purchases from the last link!)



I quickly learned that directly copying fabric designs at this scale isn't going to work so think of it as more of a colour way and inspiration.  I also had fun with her eye colour and lip gloss!




One part of this figure I had fun with was the base.  I was looking for a marble effect in the stone and discovered that simply painting a splodge of a tan colour on the grey base and then swirling it around with a brush actually created a really good effect with close to zero effort -- I'll have to remember that for future use (and of course all of my posts need close ups of sandals and toe nails!)





So for this week it's just 7 points for a 40mm figure and 20 for the trip in Lady Sarah's limo but it leaves me ready for my 1980s combat epic! See you again next week



Nice work, Simon! Your limo will be along shortly! 

Tamsin

41 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks for that Martin, she deserves to look nice 😀

      Delete
  2. Stylishly deadly. I've been avoided this series of books. I hear that they are very good but time intensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can really recommend the wiki I linked to, it helps you get a lot more out of the books. The first is actually an easy read so try that one without references then if you like it dig in and start to explore the back story

      Delete
  3. Excellent stuf, the dress is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martijn, I’ve always been a fan of Pucci prints

      Delete
  4. Wow, that is a fabulous bit of brushwork, Simon. I love the pattern on her outfit. Spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt -- makes me think what other designs I could work on in future (Liberty print anyone!)

      Delete
    2. Last summer in London, my sewer wife found a fabric shop with 3 floors full of Liberty fabrics. It was fun watching her geek out over it.

      Delete
    3. Maybe the Liberty store itself? A multi level gothic type place -- has a very nice store within it with loads of vintage dresses, great if you need a reference for that Chanel dress 😁

      Delete
    4. Been there too, but this was an Independent family owned shop with stuff from many years going back

      Delete
  5. Relly good work, Simon! Makeup, fashionista, necromancer, she surely must be one of those Influencer mini celebrities I have heard about. I'm sure she pinched a ride in Lady Sarah's Limo for paparazzi points! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More likely she summoned up a ride made of skeletons and powered by thanergy (you have to read the books!)

      Delete
  6. Stunning work on that mini. The paint on the fabric is amazing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Benito --- seemed more like a bunch of swirly blotches to me but the colours at least match the pattern!

      Delete
  7. That base effect is great. Nice work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter -- always like things that look good without needing much work

      Delete
  8. That's a great bit of painting Simon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely figure, great treatment of the frock!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cool Simon. She reminds me of a friend who also wears mad patterns and crazy lippy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just as long as she isn't in the habit of summoning hordes of skeletons 🦴🦴 out of the earth then you should be fine 😜

      Delete
  11. Fantastic Pucci print … I love the fashionista Necromancer vibe!
    ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who says necromancers can't have style! Thanks Sarah

      Delete
  12. What a brilliant figure Simon, awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That skirt is a great touch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barks. Designer stuff lasst well which helps when you are 10,000 years old 🧐

      Delete
  14. Wow the colors are fab. Well done and amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bruce, I’m glad I managed to match up the colourway quite well

      Delete
  15. Wow! That's some fancy brushwork. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loving that fabric Simon, it looks very good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, really appreciate the great feedback

      Delete
  17. This looks great, well done Simon!
    TomC

    ReplyDelete