Tuesday 31 January 2023

From Curt: Wood Elf Archers and Warhawk Riders (115 points)

Hey there!

For a little change of pace this week I decided to add a few more units to my 10mm Wood Elf army which I laid the foundations for last year.

Included today are four units of archers along with a unit of warhawk riders.

It seems thematic that there would be scads of archers for an Elf army, especially elf archers nestled within a treeline.


The pine trees are 3d prints. I like how they're a little chunky and abstract. I try to incorporate a bit of terrain with my bases as, in addition to adding a little visual interest, they also serve as a way for players to easily pick them up.

I had fun working on the feathers of the warhawks. I tried to keep it simple and relatively high-contrast.


Again, the tree-handle may help in their contact with Peter's over-enthusiastic digits. We'll see. :)

The figures here are all 3d prints from the very talented 'Forest Dragon'.

I'll be using these with M2, which is a clever fantasy variant of 'To The Strongest'. 

And to close, here's a pic of the collection as it stands. Other than a couple more command stands, I think I may have enough for an actual game - hooray!

As to points, there are 96 foot (I think) and seven mounted figures, which should give me 117 points. It's kinda paltry for the work involved, but as I made the bed I will lie in it. We'll see if we can tweak the 10mm classification for next time.

Thanks for dropping in for a look and have a terrific day!

- Curt

Your maths is a little bit off - 96 foot and 7 cavalry comes to 110 points for 10mm. However, I'm adding a few points for the trees.

Great work on the little chaps, especially the plumage!

Tamsin

48 comments:

  1. Love the eagles and the splashes of colour -- really would like a macro close up to appreciate all the detail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon. The painting on these little fellas is pretty raw and impressionistic, so would probably suffer from extreme close ups!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for letting me join in with your crew, Tamsin. Yes, regrettably math has never been my strong suit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn fine painting Curt. Love the feathers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ray. I had to Googlefoo a few birds to get and idea of what to do.

      Delete
  4. Great painting Curt, like the incorporated tree idea and am grateful for the M2 link and will have a good look at that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Kerry! We're fans of Simon's rules and I thought the fantasy extension of them to be good for easy adoption.

      Delete
  5. Great idea adding the trees to the bases, definitely finishes them off nicely. With tbe easily increasing variety of small scale fantasy on the market these days, I'm tempted to have a go myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. You definitely should look at 10mm fantasy. As you say, there is a wealth of wonderful stuff out there for hobbyists to enjoy.

      Delete
  6. Very nice, Curt! The trees work very well and hopefully make it easier to move them to the casualty box...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, hopefully handy for both glorious advances and ignominious pick-ups. :)

      Delete
  7. Fantastic work dude, these look tremendous!
    I do hope the sturdy bases hold up under, er, "hobbyist contact" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks dude! Like General Haig, it may be best to plan for 'wastage'. :)

      Delete
  8. This project is awesome and your figurines are gorgeous! I might seriously consider Fantasy 10mm... once I'm done with 6mm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oups, I was anonymized again...

      Delete
    2. Thank you Sylvain! It would be wonderful to have another building armies for this.

      Delete
  9. Love em! The basing really sets them off superbly. It's one of the best bits of modelling at this scale IMHO. Every unit can be a mini diorama.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Millsy, I agree. I've always been drawn to multi-figure basing as it encourages creativity AND allows one to have a more 'elastic' interpretation of what composes a 'unit'. For example, a classic 24-figure unit could alternately be a 18-figure unit, which incorporates other visual elements that more than makes up for the 'lack' of figures. It's all good fun.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Thanks Martin. I find with these wee guys its all about the basing.

      Delete
  11. Great looking units here dude. The trees on the bases are nice, a great way to bring Birnam Wood to Dunsinane :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. those eagles are great but just realised they are 10mm. the feathers well I cannot do what you have done on 28mm eagles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ian. Really, the sculpts do such a great job in helping move the brush along.

      Delete
  13. While I could point out how good each and every unit is or say something about the brilliant basing, it's the ensemble that's gobsmacking Curt!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm loving this 10mm stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Barks. It's such a fun scale for this kind of thing.

      Delete
  15. They look striking as a group, Curt! I like the scenic basework as not only setting the scene, a very clever method of preserving the troops!

    ReplyDelete
  16. They look great Curt. Love the hawks and trees.
    I can’t wait to get my hands on these.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Curt these are great. War Master I imagine. The trees really add to the bases and the wings pop so well done. Very thematic and would be wonderful to play against. Excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Bruce. Warmaster was such a wonderful revelation when it was released.

      Delete
  18. Splendid looking wood elves, there's lots of teeny tiny folks this season, love the feathers!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain! It's good to see the small scale stuff get some of the limelight.

      Delete
  19. Smashing stuff, I’m a huge fan of multibasing and you’ve taken full advantage with this little lot. The warhawks are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jamie - they were great fun to work on. I've been missing your excellent brushwork this season, but thank you for dropping in to check on our progress.

      Delete
  20. These look great all formed up and I am very taken with the Warhawks, they’re fantastic!
    TomC

    ReplyDelete
  21. Obviously I have a box of these lying around somewhere, Forest Dragon are great! If I can eventually paint my figures half as good as these, Curt, I shall be more than content. Excellent stuff!

    ReplyDelete