Saturday 28 January 2023

From MartijnN: Statues, a lady, a snowman and 1001 Nights (B&W, High Adventure and a Limo ride) (180 points)

 

Last time, I ended with booking a ride to the Black & White set. There we find a Roman statue.

 


Hardly original, I know, but it’s in greyshade from the base to the top. This is a 3D printed Roman statue designed by Iain Lovecraft. I used mainly washes and drybrushes on this.

There more statues on the set, which may remind you to certain enormous statues guarding the entrance to a southern Kingdom in a well-known fantasy realm. These too are 3D printed, but scaled down to 10mm scale so now they are only 75mm tall…  I’d don’t really remember where I got them from though.



For scoring, I will claim these five statues as 28mm figures; they are much taller, but it’s a relatively simple paint job after all. I will also claim a squirrel for them though.

From B&W we request Lady Sarah to once again take us to our next destination, which is the High Adventure set. As a fee I offer this Roman matrona from Iain Lovecraft. I painted some Roman civilians for Challenge XII, and she is part of that set.

 


 

For High Adventure, I let myself be inspired by the Legend of the Abominable Snowman, Bigfoot, from the Himalaya. You can’t go much higher than that!

 


 

I painted this Yeti, a 3D printed miniature designed by Evan Carothers for his Wilds of Wintertide set. It is a great model, and it painted up quite nicely. It is nominally 28mm, but it stands 80mm tall to the top of its head. I’m not quite sure how to valuate it, perhaps, as a 54mm foot figure is 10 and a 54mm mounted figure is 20, at 15 points?

 


Now I wanted to have my contribution for today to be inspired by the theme, so I thought of movies and series like Sinbad, Arabian Nights, or The Thief of Bagdad.

 


Here then is a small collection of Arabian inspired miniatures, all 3D printed, from both Lovecraft and Carothers:

 


We have a djinn:

 


A priestess:

 


Two assorted Arabs:

 


Three lizard people, a lady and two warriors:

 


And finally, two Horus-type warriors

 


I’ll claim a squirrel for these too.

Just for the fun of it, I’ll book a further ride with Lady Sarah to get me to my first Blue Pass location, Western, even though it’s just bowshot away. Although this post already contains assorted female figures,  I will offer her this lady adventurer as a fee:

 


That’s it. For points:

5x 28mm figures (statues) = 25

Black and White bonus = 20

Lady Sarah bonus x 2 = 40

2x 28mm figures (Lady Sarah’s fee) = 10

Yeti = 15 points (?)

High Adventure bonus = 20

9x 28mm foot (1001 Nights) = 45

Grand total 175 points.

And two squirrels!


A fantastic bunch of fantasy figures, Martijn. I love the variety of Arabian themed models you've done, especially the Djinn. I have scored the Yeti as a 28mm Monster, so you're going to get a few extra points from there. I'm looking forward to seeing your entry for the Western category.

29 comments:

  1. Agree, great set of figures but the Djinn is also my favourite

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely set of figures, Martijn! :)

    Booking a limo ride to a studio that's less than a minute's walk away and on a direct route? You lazy so and so! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Splendid mix of figures, very nice!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely work Martijn, really love the Arabian Nights figures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, I do too, even though I haven’t got the slightest idea what to use them for 😄

      Delete
  5. I really like those Sinbad characters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, those are superb with lovely variations and colours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kerry, that’s the effect I was hoping for.

      Delete
  7. Love the Sinbad stuff Martijn!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful brushwork, Martijn! I love Ian Lovecraft's stuff and you've really done them proud here. I especially like that djinn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Curt. I really can’t resist supporting each of his projects, even if I have no clue what to use the figures for. They are always absolutely wonderful!

      Delete
  9. Great stuff Martin, the yeti and djinn are great, yet to print my love craft stuff.

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely eclectic mix, I must say I do like those statues a lot Martijn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sander! They have a certain impressive dourness, don’t they.

      Delete
  11. These are a great bunch - the jackal headed warriors remind me of the more modern Mummy films with Brendan Fraser et al, very characterful!

    ReplyDelete