Friday 17 February 2023

From DavidB: Potpourri and Lady Sarah (215 points)

 





My desk this very morning! I have been away from home for a few weeks doing training with Search and Rescue and other Great Lakes first responders. Very fun training even if I was mostly running a TOC, but I did get some opportunities for helicopter rides with partner agencies and Canadians and US Coastguard are always fun men and women to hang out with especially when they are showing off training and their taxpayer funded toys. Being National Guard, missions like these are fun for me as they highlight the 1st Responder mission of the NG. It is a reminder to for the public that men and women in uniform are not just thumping eyeballs and kicking in doors with guns out; we are also there for disasters and emergency providing security and medical services including search and rescue.
But enough waffle of Adrenalin junkie looking for justification of kicking in doors and doing cool guy stuff! :)

These two ladies wrangled the limo from Lady Sarah so I could arrive to the far side of the green zone. Historical Drama.


A reaper miniature in metal not bones of a US Cavalry trooper. He was in my mountain of neglect for awhile, but is now ready to join the rest of my western figures. Since he was solo, I decided to redden his skin and make him a cavalry scout. A misconception is the fate of the native scouts used by the US Army in the Plains Wars. Apache, Navajo, Pawnee, Cheyenne, and many other tribes provided scouts for the US Army. Some Apache scouts were disarmed and sent to the reservation when Geronimo was finally captured, The neglected bit from that action is the fact that those scouts were also Apaches from Geronimo's tribe and Geronimo was himself once a scout in US Army service. Since background investigations were not very good then, I can easily understand how loyalty was in question for those scouts. Racist? yes...but I can also see how the unilateral decision was made. Now you folk know the other side of that tale. The 9th and 10th soldiers also known as the Buffalo Soldiers were used in the later years of the Plains Wars and also in the Spanish-American War. from Cuba to the Philippines the 10th Cavalry had a section of Apache Scouts. Those scouts continued to serve even after Geronimo's capture and were from a different Apache Tribe.

The Native Scouts were officially disbanded in 1947 with 4-5 Apache Scouts still serving at Fort Huachuca, Arizona. They continued to live in retirement at the fort with their families and served as tour guides. By this time many First Nation had already served in many capacities within American armed forces in various ranks and capacities besides the famous Navajo Code Talkers. Many still served as scouts with combat units, but with white counterparts who were also equally qualified for that mission.

Red skin and black hair, hopefully his saber is the heavier civil war saber and not the cheap plains war metal! ;)

Amazingly, I do paint stuff other than 40k, My group mainly plays 40k, so maybe I can entice them with Silver Bayonet. This is the French faction and one of three I purchased at Adepticon last year. I plan on acquiring more and doing custom minis with Victrix and Perry for more options.

These minis were among the ones I painted at the hotel with a wet pallet and limited colors as I couldn't pack all my miniatures and paint in my duffle.

The "civilians"  of the group.


These are the two miniatures that sold me to this set.

Now I can have my own" Brotherhood of the Wolf"

Warlord Games made Mythic America which while excited for it, My enthusiasm has been diminished by the cost of the miniatures and the quality as they are soft on detail and more like Hollywood did the designs. After I decided to ignore the clumpy, lumpy, detail like hands and the Hollywood take of 1st Nation...I had lots of fun with them.

A Chief guarded by Mohawks, but he is more Cheyenne.( just go with it)

A very animated group of elite Mohawks....cuz they have magnificent mohawks of course!


I used black and red inks for warpaint as it lets the skin tones shine through and I feel it looks more natural. Ash, charcoal, and blood were common for warpaint ingredients especially befor European contact. I stippled red, blue, white, and red on pouches in impressionistic bead work. some of their torques have blue and green for turquoise and other semi precious stones and gold was used for copper accents.

The Seneca provide range fire since Mohawks must not know how that works and are smaller because you need a big mohawk to be elite and big! ;)

They look fine from a distance, but they suffered more from soft spots and sculpt issues

Proportions are all over the place, but then I admit I like the difference in size like real people and the do look very good when bulking out my forces of other First Nation warriors. Not too terrible, but should definitely be better for the price paid. There are big native monsters and spirits in the range but are resin and very expensive. I wouldn't mind getting them, but I fear the sculpts may not be worth the price.

A wizkids owlbear! This is fun as it is the first owlbear I've ever seen in miniature and very cheap too!

I went brown bear with snowy owl, but decided a fantasy critter could have blue for sheer rule of cool.


He will be off to my son's D&D collection, but I think he may be a fun encounter for Silver Bayonet!

A very old samurai from games workshop and the venerable Talisman Game. 

I never did get my own copy of the game, but had lots of fun with it. Now I have an excuse to get a samurai game though!

....and he has a skull too....didn't even notice till I began to paint his helmet!

Now off to Averland of the Old World and some Halberdiers from Blackfire Pass

Two metal minis and three plastic(one a conversion from the empire artillery crew)
The two metal minis will be official Blackfire Pass veterans while the other three will be a fighter group of hopefuls.

Some more fighters with swords and a few pistols

Black and Yellow for Averland, but most are poor so lots of tans and browns till they save up for new duds.

My Averland warband is going to be gun heavy including these two averland gunners.


The designated leader and champion models.

They have been boxed up for such a long time that I can no longer remember the roster build other than blackpowder and halberds.

I do remember that they would also serve as milita to guard my big blocks of pike or missle troops though!


So these all have been bounced around in my rucksack while I was away, They survived rough handling well and were kept safe in a small foam case in traveling with minimal damage except for paint rub on the big purple feathers of the Averland troops which was easily fixed.


1 Apache Scout- 5 points plus 20 for historical drama
8 Napoleonics for 40 points and 1 skull
13 first nation troops - 65 points
1 owlbear- 5 points
1 samurai- 5 points and 1 skull
14 Mordenheim- 70 points and 33 skulls

total in post-1
210 points 
35 skulls


I am also using the Vivandierrie and medicine woman for a future ride in Lady Sarah's limo



Friday Minion: Hi again David, I've missed Minioning your grab-bag of projects and impressive output. Great to hear about your training, and thank you for your service in the NG. And this is an ace collection to start us off this Friday, the Silver Bayonet stuff is fantastic, and nice to see some of the Mythic Americas stuff and read your feedback on the quality. And we have quite a bit of purple featuring again, hurrah! 

My favourite of the lot is that very fierce Owlbear though, what a top model. I'll score that as a 28mm cavalry figure, and add the bonus for your Limo ride now, giving you a total of 215 Points for this post. 

I doubt the Lady Sarah is big on pot pourri, though. 


13 comments:

  1. Top notch mix of stuff in this post, David! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fine and varied post, my favourites are those venerable Averlanders!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was rather surprised when I found them while looking for more harlequins....they were lurking in the classic harlequin box set!

      Delete
  3. Cracking David, love that bird thing

    Cheers
    MattW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The owlbear is a favorite monster for me. I had to paint this one when I first seen him at the FLGS!

      Delete
  4. Fabulous work, David! Love those Averland recruits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Curt! I wish the plastic minis had the same gonzo feathers as the metal minis. I really like the flamboyant magnificence of the blackfire pass troops!

      Delete
  5. Great collection David. Love the owl bear. Also enjoyed the history on the Scouts. History does tend to be messy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Peter! I agree that history is messy and ugly...but it is also noble and beautiful. If we dwell on the warts solely, we miss the triumph over tragedy. My kids and their friends are more aware of the tragedy of the scouts and Geronimo and entirely unaware of the deeds they accomplished before and after. Even the Buffalo soldiers and their actions in places as far as the Phillipines are forgotten.

      Delete
  6. Thank you, Phil! I had a lot of fun painting these away from home. Even more fun with limited pallet. ....Sarah may appreciate the potpourri after having an owl bear near the limo! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great collection, never seen an owlbear before

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice work, I like the owlbear.

    ReplyDelete