Friday 17 February 2023

From TomC: Necromeowncer and skele-cats [Fantasy] (33 points)

 Hello hello again, apologies to reappear sooner than expected, behind schedule for the last studio and making up lost time for this studio, the Fantasy studio. It's been straight historical content for me so far, but the internet loves cats and so this is the place to get them in.






 These are from Steamforged Games's Cats and Catacombs / Animal Adventures series of feline (and canine) adventurers for D&D, in particular, two of the Kickstarters. The first we backed had a feline necromancer (the Necromeowncer / Nekomancer depending on how you like your puns) as a bonus, but you can't have a Necromeowncer without any undead to raise! Luckily the second Kickstarter we backed had animated feline skeletons to give the adventures some low level adversaries, so now the whole gang is back together! 







 I enjoyed painting these immensely, I think the miniatures are very characterful and have enough detail to bring some techniques to without becoming a headache.

 I wanted a black cat to establish villainous credentials but included the white patches as an homage to a childhood cat. I then tried to keep the various accessories quite colourful and textured so it wasn't too gloomy, although that was difficult with such stylish assistant-rats. The various bones I imagine are useful for distracting canine adventurers...

 Both the leather and gold are Andy Wardle recipes for NMM, the gold is VGC English Uniform, IJA uniform, then S75 Tenere Yellow and I used Citadel Ceramite White for the reflections (a prince amongst paints). The leather I modified a little (thus explaining my lack of critical acclaim) to Citadel Mournfang Brown, Tuskgor Fur and VGC German Orange. I hadn't tried either before but I'm glad I gave them a test, I can see myself using both more in the future!



  Another shot of the feline skeletons for completeness, it's just the one sculpt replicated, as often seems to be the way with Steamforged's D&D goons. They're my usual series of Citadel Gorthor then Baneblade Brown and Karak Stone which I employ for most bone: on the Necromeowncer I took this on to Rakarth and Pallid Wych Flesh for the croissant helmet horns, not required for low level minions!

 For the bases, I was aiming for a dusty dungeon theme, as appropriate for ne'er-do-wells, and hopefully suitably generic for a few locales.




 Now, points wise, they're about 20mm, give or take being on all fours, so I've taken the feline skeletons (3x) to be 3 points apiece, as they're quite bare bones (the end is nigh, I promise!), and the Necromeowncer as 4 points. They're all pretty fantastical, so all in with the studio bonus should be 33 points.

 I'm thinking Swords & Sandals next...



Friday Minion: How did you know I'm a cat person? Though I'm not sure these are the cutest moggies, they are very finely painted, I like the dark bones rather than bleached, and the Necromeowncer looks appropriately haughty. Fine work on the NMM too, was there a reason you went NMM? 

Very reasonable scoring bid, too, making my life easy. 33 Points to you!


14 comments:

  1. Nice cats. A little skinny, though. Great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Martijn, if only some adventurers would bring them treats...

      Delete
  2. Nice work on these, Tom! I have some fur-adventures on my docket for the fantasy studio when I get there. I think this minis are genius and wish I had that necmeowancer! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like them David, I think the Animals Adventures series are great fun, looking forward to your fantasy entry!

      Delete
  3. I like the dark brown bones!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barks, my view of how old bones should look is entirely derived from the Natural History Museum's dinosaurs (and I do not care that there are casts and not actually bone!)

      Delete