Thursday 16 February 2023

From GeoffreyT: Hussars and Hogan (Historical Drama)(118 points)

Hello Challengers,

This week I visit the Historical Drama studio.

First up, I have 8 french Hussars.  These guys are the enemies of Sharpe, in the historical drama of the same name.  These are Warlord games plastics, I intend to use for Toofatlardies game "Sharp Practice".  luckily you don't need many figs for that game as Hussare are very intricate and a lot of work.

The 2nd Hussars fought in the peninsular war where the drama 'Sharpe' was set.  I painted these guys in their historical tan and pale blue colours.  It was quite difficult as the colours are desaturated, so the miniatures kind of ended up looking washed out.  That looks OK for a dry dusty peninsula scene I suppose.

The reference I used was FG Hourtoulle et al (2004), which showed the second Hussars in a blue Pelisse.  Other works show a tan Pelisse.  I didn't dig into this inconsistency.  Napoleonic uniforms are so complex that I probably have something else wrong in any case, such as the colour of moustache wax.

Next we have characters from Hogans heroes.   Klink, Hogan and Shultz.  Hogans heroes being a comedy set in Stalag 13 prisoner of war camp.  These miniatures are about 35mm to the eye, so between the classification of 28 and 40.

They are rather nice miniatures. I'm not sure of the manufacturer, I painted them for a friend.  I did Hogan in the airforce brown he wears in the show, but I think I may have wrong uniform colour for Klink and Shultz, who I did in 'german uniform green', whereas I think maybe they should have been in Luftwaffe grey.   

Anyhow, getting historical uniforms right isn't my bag, I'm more 'its fantasy' paint it what ever colour you like kind of person.


So now for points;

8 x 28 mm mounted figures = 80 hard earned points

3 x 28mm foot figures = 15 points

Historical Studio Drama Bonus = 20 points

Total = 115 points.


This is a big post for me points wise, although not a 'points bomb'.   How big is a points bomb? Is there an official size to achieve this high status classification, 300+ perhaps?

Journey so far is 7 green locations and 4 blue locations, unlocking the red zone.  I wonder what the snow lord has in plan.



Signing off

Geoffrey T

From TeemuL: Nice looking Hussars! I like history, but I see it more as a point of inspiration than the exact rule, so your colour choices regarding Pelisses and mustach waxes are good enough for me. And before I get cruficied, I understand the importance of historical details, but these are still the game pieces, not dioramas or snapshots of history. And if the minis are not shown as snapshots of history, then the observer should not take them as such. I'm getting sidetracked a bit, this is not directly related to this post or is not personally against or towards anyone and if someone likes to paint their game pieces as historically correct as they want and can, I raise my hat! Just don't expect everyone else to do the same. :)

Like I said, nice looking Hussars, they do look like they are in some dusty and sunny place, so your result is good. Hogan's Heroes is unknown show to me, but the minis look characterful and have a comic feel on them. I'll give you a fex extra points since they are bit larger than 28mm. Let's see what the Snow Lord has planned for you on the Red Zone.

12 comments:

  1. Nice work, Geoff! I must admit, that when I saw the title, I assumed the Hogan of the title would be Major Hogan, Wellington's spy-chief. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I painted a unit of French Hussars several Challenges back so I perfectly understand the complexities (and pressures) of being "historical accurate". These look excellent to me. The second set of models surprised me: they look heavily inspired in a set (in 28mm) that were produced for TooFatLardies in the early 2010s designed by Paul Hicks and had a limited distribution (I think were offered with a copy of the IABSM rules)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely looking Napoleonic hussars, painted 2 units in 28mm so far and you have to rationalise a bit or they'll never get done! The Hogan's heroes figures look great!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice painting - always great to see Napoleonic's but know what you mean about uniform stress!
    Cheers JezT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the Hussards, the blue is very nice. References can be inconsistent, likely as uniforms carried based onnwhat cloth could be sourced. I too was expecting Sharpe's Hogan

    The 60s was a weird era, wouldn't make a comedy in a Germain Stalag now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the Hussars are great and nicely eye catching in that uniform - they look really good but the big glaring error is in the moustache wax, this was only ever used on the Emperor's birthday and was the colour aurore as in the pompon colour of one of the infantry companies unless it was windy in which weather they were lashed to the face with the bricole though on campaign, sellotape and blue-tac were more easily available and so used

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, when on campaign moustache maintenance was compromised by lack of critical resources.

      Delete
  7. As soon as time travel becomes a reality, the past is going to be filled with angry historical wargamers yelling things like "See! Imperial blue with grey highlights. I told you so," at each other. Until then, I think you're able to use a little artistic licence. Your hussars look great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very smart squadron of hussars, Geoff!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous Geoff, like those hussars

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely hussars, the Heroes are great fun too.

    ReplyDelete