Thursday 16 February 2023

From Curt: Two-Seated 'Flyer' for Mad Maximillian 1934 (27 Points)

Sarah and I are heading out for a few days of R&R, but I wanted to get in a submission to maintain some semblance of momentum. Here is my third car for Mad Maximillian 1934. This time we have a two-seat flyer with a twin-linked gun position in the rear. I know, how wonderfully barmy.

This kit was a lot of fun to assemble. Granted, the rear gun position was a tad fiddly to align the crewman and his two Lewis guns to the gun tub, but a little pre-planning and dry fitting did the trick, with it all coming together just fine. 

With the time-honoured knowledge that the best thing to  accessorize a machine-gun is, well, with another machine gun, so I added a forward-firing Maxim next to the driver so she had something that could throw out a little brass.

I airbrushed the body with two blue gradients and then gave it some French-themed decals as a counterpoint to my British and Italian cars.

I guess with three cars we could technically have a race, but I'd like to see if I can do up a couple more so everyone in our group can have a ride.

As to points, we have 20 for the vehicle, 2 for the driver, and 5 more for the rear gunner for 27 points total.

Thanks for dropping by for a look. Have a good one!


- Curt

From TeemuL: Are there airplanes in Maximilian 1934, too? Just wondering the aim of the tail gunner... It fits nicely with your other vehicles, similar basing and weathering, and the blue looks good with all the browns. Three can race of course, but more the merrier! Looking forward to see more.

37 comments:

  1. Beautiful stuff as always dude - and is there not something extra fun and awesome about a twin Lewis gun setup? This one looks like it was particularly tricky, but great results!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?! I've always liked the look of the barrel sleeve on the Lewis - it makes for a wonderful heavy blaster in Star Wars.

      Delete
  2. Lovely old bangers! You’ll need at least seven methinks 🌈

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damn your eyes, Simon. Deep down I know you're right. ;)

      Delete
  3. What a brilliant piece Curt, the weathering is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely jalopy, Curt! :)

    Which reminds me - I really must send you the one I painted for you last year, not to mention various figures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers m'dear. Love to see that jalopy, but no rush as well.

      Delete
  5. Incredibly useful for fending off tailgaters.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic vehicles, really well executed

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great vehicles - makes me want to get a copy of the rules and play! Love the weathering and bright bodywork colours - are you going to go for a different colour for each vehicle circa boardgame playing piece?
    Cheers JezT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I really like the aesthetic as well. The plan is to try to keep it to a solid colour for each car. I figure it will help make them stand out on the tabletop.

      Delete
  8. Thank you for fitting me in with your crew today, Teemu! As to your question, yes, Mad Maximillian does have a rules expansion for aircraft so the posing isn't completely off-point, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Luvvly stuff Curt. Reminds me a the old cartoon, Wacky Races.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! I had to look that up. Yes, I suppose this stuff would fit nicely. :)

      Delete
  10. Very nice - sure you couldn’t have got a 3rd MG in there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that may seem excessive... *eyeroll* ;)

      Delete
  11. Lovely stuff - is this the two seater you're taking to Winterpeg?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The open air cockpit is a bit of a challenge at -20, but it does have air cooled guns and heated seats.

      Delete
  12. What a great looking vehicle, Curt. I am so tempted...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Frederick. I think Dallas has a few of these so one or two more wouldn't go amiss. :)

      Delete
  13. Fantastic painting and weathering

    ReplyDelete
  14. All of these vehicles look awesome. I love the tail gunner on the latest one, though he does look pretty exposed to the elements, (not to mention enemy fire).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they really are a characterful bunch of vehicles. As to the rear gunner, I'm not sure safety is high on the requirement list for these jalopies. :)

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. Thanks Martin, we're having a wonderful time away.

      Delete
  16. Awesome looking motor! Great fun!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  17. A fabulous car, Curt! I love the colour and the Lewis guns. Not the best choice for plunging fire perhaps, but it certainly looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Martijn. I think it would find its place in team play where it could provide overwatch for its team mate.

      Delete
  18. Fabulous Curt, really love that blue

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cracking stuff, look forwards to more and a race report!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barks! Yes, I hope we can get a race in sometime this spring.

      Delete