Thursday 16 February 2023

From MikeW: 28mm Scots Renaissance, Dark Ages, Lizardmen & 40k Orks (265 Points)

With my 'production line' stalling last week due to other commitments, there is definitely a knock on effect this week, as I restock many of the work in progress items that I have on my workbench. Thus a smaller output go finished to post this week, in the expectation that there may be a bumper next week. Also what I lack in numbers hopefully I give back in such a weird mix of subjects, although unfortunately the 4 Lizardmen do not register for the Squirrel challenge - which requires 4 figures!

28mm Female Survivor and fare for Lady Sarah's Limo!

Once again I will open up this post with a fare for Lady Sarah to take me to the Fantasy Lot, this is in the form of a 28mm female survivor armed with a bow. Not just any old bow but what appears to be an Olympic specification target bow! The figure is from Warlord Games, via Wargames Factory.

Another view of the 28mm Survivor

At the Fantasy Lot I have painted 4 x Warhammer Mounted Lizardmen, this is a lot of figures that I obtained from eBay and these will be used to supplement a similarly painted unit I did some time back as part of a previous Challenge, this will take the unit strength up to 9 figures. 

The Four Lizardmen of the Apocalypse!
(Arguably there are eight of them!)

Another view

Whilst the new figures are certainly more dynamic than the older ones and I suspect there has been  little scale creep, they do fit in well together. That said, I think I actually prefer the older figures to these new ones, as the quality of the sculpt of the 'mounts' are much better n my opinion.

Close-up of the Standard Bearer, with skull on the banner

War Axe armed rider

For the mounts I went with a blue under side and a green scaly upper body, the riders had yellowish underbelly and a similar green scaled upper body.

Spear armed rider, with skull on the saddle

Club armed rider, with skull on the saddle

Final shot with one of my existing Lizardmen riders (far left),
this nicely compares a older figure with the newer ones.

Next on my list of output this week are 10 x Scots Renaissance Billmen / Halberdiers. Once again sourced form eBay, where originally converted Wargames Atlantic Conquistador figures, glued to square bases and with some kind of 'ancients' head affixed, then marketed as City Guards!

Unit of Wargames Atlantic Renaissance figures decked out as Billmen / Halberdiers

Close-up of the Rear Rank

Same for the Front Rank

I have removed the bases to replaced with nice round MDF counterparts and I replaced the heads with some more appropriate Renaissance versions from my spares box. The figures were already undercoated in light grey, I simply added the same to the heads and then painted and based these little guys in my normal manner

Four Dark Ages figures found in the lead (ad plastic) pile

Another view

And another view

It wouldn't be right not to have a batch of Orks to present, however, as it stands this is the penultimate batch to share. I have a group of these little green guys to get completed next week an also some Killa Koptas for the future, after that the basic army is done. Yippee!

This week's 40k Orc Batch!

A large number of Big Boyz / Boss figures this week plus a great looking WarBoss, as well as some finalBoyz and a few Grechin.

Closer view from the left

And from the right!

The WarBoss was a real pleasure to paint, I use my usual methods to paint but was really pleased with the colour and finish of the loincloth on this figure. On top of that the finish on the Power Claw also came out well in my opinion.

My favourite figure of the batch, a plastic WarBoss,
with skull on his left shoulder

I added exhaust fumes on this figure - as he has a fuel driven power Claw, I've finally decided that I like this as a finishing touch but will not go and refit all previously painted figures - or for that matter any I do in the future. Practicalities mean that the ;fumes; pull off during game play, so I will limit it to a few stand out figures.

And the rear view, note skull on the ground.
Also see exhaust fumes coming form the Power Claw

An a final view of his weaponry

There is a group of Six Big Boyz / Bosses in this week's batch. These form the WarBoss' Bodyguard but can also be used as unit leaders in their own right, as needed.

Three Big Boyz with Hand Blastas and Choppas.
Centre & right hand guys have skulls on their back banners.

Three more Big Boyz with a variety of weapons

A quick conversion here was to add a Jet Pack to the back of one of the Boyz, this is a metal sculpt that I've had knocking around my bits box for 20+ years now, finally I have put it to use. I'm pretty sure that there's one more, if I can find it! 

My other favourite figure, one of the Boyz with a looted Jet PAck

He obviously was somewhat careless with his right arm at some time in the past!

Only four Grechin this week and one final guy next week - I unexpectedly found him in the ready box yesterday.

Interesting comparison of two Gretchin figures,
to the right an older metal figure and to the left its modern plastic counterpart.

Another two Gretchin, both plastic

Also another Grechin Herda in the batch, added to the done pile!

An Ork Grot Herda, with Power Whip.

Just a few Boyz, this week - 9 in all and finished in usual manner.

Four more Boys with Choppas and Hand Blastas.


Another four Boyz with various weapons, skull on hilt of guy second from left.

Finally an Ork with Tank Busta Mine

Next week? Hopefully 40k Orks, Dark Ages, Landsknechts and the 17th Century Officer I didn't bother with this week.


POINTS

28mm Female Survivor                                                     5 Points

Lady Sarah Bonus                                                            20 Points

4 x Warhammer Mounted Lizardmen  @10Pts ea            40 Points 

10 x 28mm Scots Renaissance Foot @ 5Pts ea                50Points

4 x 28mm Anglo Danish Infantry @ 5Pts ea                    20 Points

22 x 40k Orks @ 5 Pts ea                                                110 Points

TOTAL                                                                             245 Points

SIDE DUALS

Codpieces & Feather                                                           +50 Points

Skulls                                                                                    +8 Points

From TeemuL: A varied entry this week, again, by MikeW! First things first, I'm not part of the Squirrel Side Duel this year, but it might be enough to paint 25 points for a squirrel, not 5 minis, so you might get a squirrel there. Better verify with Squirrelmaster. Second thing, you forgot the 20 bonus points for Fantasy Studio, I'll add them for you even though Third thing, you forgot your map. :)

The lizards on lizards look good, but I'm with you, the older lizards look better. And the Ork Grot Herda looks terrific! And good job salvaging those ebay finds.

12 comments:

  1. fantastic post, love the lizardmen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great looking greenskins and Scots but I love the lizard riding lizards!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mad mix of figures but also big thumbs to up the lizardmen!
    Cheers JezT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another wonderfully eclectic points-bomb, Mike! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We don't have an official Squirrelfinder General this year, but from experience, it IS 25 points, not 5 models. Otherwise we'd be drowning in 6mm Squirrels.

    Cracking work on all of these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice work Mike, lovin the Scots.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tons of stuff to gaze at here. I wondered if the table on the tin was misleading as it took a lot of scrolling to hit the Scots. Worth the scroll however, they're great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a fabulous mix of miniatures! I particularly like the lizardmen.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great stuff, I like the dark age lads!

    ReplyDelete