Saturday 4 February 2023

From MartijnN: Cowboys, Bandits and Lawmen (Western)(57 points)

 Today, a small contribution from me. As we stylishly arrive at the Western studio, by luxurious limo, from the adjacent High Adventure set, we meet several actors and extras preparing to shoot a Western scene.

Obviously, there is no lack of choice when looking for famous Western movies. For me, the epitome of the Western must be Once upon a Time in the West. My father bought the soundtrack back in the day (on vinyl, of course), and the first time he put it on I asked what the heck this yammering, whining, drizzle was. However, somehow the music started to fascinate me, so imagine his surprise when sometime later, when I got to choose the music to be played, I chose exactly this record. If anything, I have come to appreciate Ennio Morricone’s haunting, mournful, and extremely atmospheric score even more as time went by.

 


The figures I have painted for today are for Dead Man’s Hand. Last year, I built or printed a few Western buildings, painted some figures and had great fun with them. My youngest stepson, who is 11, enjoyed it too (though of course he needs help with the English). It is a great little game, a simple system, and much fun.

 


These are seven and a half figure. Two are metal figures from Great Escape Games, and the other 5 ½ are 3D printed figures designed by JOD. They ran a great Kickstarter a way back, with cowboys, bandits, marshals, 7th cavalry, Native Indians and Mexicans, among others, so I potentially have now more than enough figures to play any scenario you can think of. As you can see, the figures match perfectly in size, so it was not necessary to resize the STL files at all. 


Join Or Die figures (Outlaws)


Great Escape Games: Wild Bill & Jonathan Pain


So, seven full figures and the barrel guy. I really like the barrel guy, but I would suggest 2 points for him as he is mostly barrel and so a very simple paint job.




 Score:

7 x 28mm foot @ 5 = 35

1 barrel guy @ 2

Western Studio bonus = 20

Grand total 57 points

And a Squirrel!


Great looking western types, Martijn. I like the guy hiding in the barrel, though I'm not sure it will stop a bullet once the lead starts flying. For me, Morricone's music defines the whole western genre. You can't hear it and not be reminded of dusty plains, horses and gritty strangers knocking back whisky in a saloon with swinging doors. 

13 comments:

  1. Great looking gunmen, Martijn. Love the guy hiding in the barrel. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice gunslingers, Martijn! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a heck ofacool club of Western figures Martijn! Really like the dude in the barrel.

    ReplyDelete

  4. Wonderful work, Martijn, on these terrific gunslingers. I like that you've been getting in some games with your stepson.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OUATITW has one of the greatest opening scenes in cinema. And an awesome score. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fab painting - I can almost hear the music.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bad guys lurking in barrels is a Western classic, great to see here in miniature form! Really enjoying your other assorted desperados too, well done!
    TomC

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice work on these gunfighters.

    We recently re-watched The Magnificent Seven.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "more than enough figures to play any scenario you can think of"

    Now that is how to do it! Great work Martijn.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Splendid group of gunslingers, Martjin! I like the join or die sculpts they are very animated. I also like your use of "spaghetti " western color pallet too. They look fresh off the set from those movies!

    ReplyDelete