Saturday 4 February 2023

From Barks: A swarm-o-gaunts (240 points)

Last year, I painted seven termagants. A nice little project, I felt. Maybe a few more melee gribblies for a more rounded force wouldn't go astray, I mused. They come by the dozen, so I got a sensible twelve. And another whimsical twelve in the unlikely event my warband skirmish scenarios got out of hand. I started painting them after Christmas, and quite liked how they were going. Then a stray copy of Xenos Rampant appeared, and I found a bloke on ebay selling them pre-assembled...





Forty-eight hormagaunts later, and I'm good with tyranids for the time being! Contrast or similar is just about mandatory for these, but I still edge highlighted all the claws.

They're infamously unbalanced, so I used split lead weights to lower their centre of gravity.

I also painted up the movement trays, but I have more to do and may submit them for a point later in tthe Challenge.

48x 28mm figures: 240 points

Those hormagaunts do look quite scary when all massed up like that, the living wave of xenos about to come crashing down on whichever poor unit has to hold the line against them. I'm pretty surprised that GW didn't sell official lead weighted bases (at an obscene mark-up) to go along with these models. The use of movement trays is pretty inspired, I wish I had thought of that back when I had my own horde of these critters.


34 comments:

  1. That's the trouble with bugs isn't it? They do tend to multiply quickly. Great work here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful ! Pity about the lack of skulls but nothing says "Bugs Mr Rico!" like a chittering horde! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can make up for my generalship with numbers!

      Delete
  3. What a great wave of vicious creepy-crawlies, Barks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Break out the Raid. Wondrous bevy of bugs. They look great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice infestation Barks. Love the story of the slippery slope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking at more 'nids, just for balance...

      Delete
  6. That's quite the swarm, Barks. Looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That’s a wowser - they look great

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent looking swarm, and a very nice colour combination, they really work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had mild second thoughts about the colours, but I'm committed now!

      Delete
  9. I wouldn't want to be in their way Barks they look positively menacing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with Byron, the colour combo and mass really make these big ticks, um, tick. I really like the movement stands as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of a sea of bugs back to the horizon.

      Delete
  11. Never heard of them, but they look very cool! They are very impressive in their mass, but I do admire your stamina!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am grateful for The Challenge to give a bit of extra motivation!

      Delete
  12. That's a horde for sure - nicely painted - you know what they say about the only good bug...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm detecting a bit of bugphobia in the comments...

      Delete
  13. Bugs Mr. Rico, zillions of them... Excellent collection

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cracking work mate. The more the better in a chittering horde. Can't believe I missed the ones from last year with your original red/green scheme!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well done with these Barks, quite the swarm! The Great Devourer must consume shelf space!
    TomC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Tom! Storage and transport is increasingly becoming an issue.

      Delete
  16. Great work on this horde Barks, they look the part!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very nice swarm of bugs, Barks! They do tend to multiply when left to their own devices. I like the colors you've picked for them....now you need a squad with fire to control the infestation! ;)

    ReplyDelete