Wednesday 1 February 2023

From TeemuL: Pipe-Weed in Middle-Earth [High Adventure][Limo] (77 points)


"Let's get back to the real issue and our movie of Murin and Drar and leave this European movie industry alone, nothing but bare breasts, "artistry" and sad endings really. We have some problems to cast the main characters, it is extremely difficult to find proper dwarfs these days and it would cost millions to digitally modify/create them. Let's focus on the humans and others for a while. Dwarfs live long so it is not totally unbeliavable that Murin and Drar lived during the time of Morwen and Nienor, so we have prepared to make some flashbacks. By the way, the story of Morwen and Niniel is sooo sad, something like from Finnish sagas*, if you ask me, not a proper plot for us, but we can use the characters, of course. It is rather easy to find pretty ladies, much easier than finding dwarfs. We have some old men auditing for a role of Gandalf, you know, he lived long so probably met our long living duo. And these orcs, orcs are everywhere and trolls are always handy in action scenes. It is quite easy to find orcs around the studio, too. Trolls are harder, we need to get some NBA or NFL players for audit. Did I say this is an action /adventure movie, a high adventure movie?"
*The Story of Kullervo

This is the full set of my Mordor Orcs, the one on the right was painted last year

Morwen and Nienor is a nice dual sculpt or how would you call it? Morwen is wife of Húrin and mother of Túrin and Nienor (also known as Niniel). These fine ladies will give me a comfortable taxi drive from World Cinema to High Adventure.



Gandalf the Grey fits the High Adventure in so many ways. He had many adventures of his own and he started couple of adventures of others, all being quite high in quality and also going over the mountains and flying with eagles, lots of high stuff. And then the pipe-weed, whose effects might make someone feel high.


To accompany Gandalf I have a couple of Orcs and a Troll, almost mandatory for any adventure. All of these are metal minis from Mithril and painted mostly with GW's traditional paints, usually a basecoat, wash and drybrush. Nothing too fancy, but not too simple either. The troll is Mithril M295, Mordor Black Troll. The archer is Mithril M311B Mordor Orc Archer, and previously painted is M311A. The standard bearer is Mithril M310, Mordor Orc Standard Bearer and the one with the shield and mace is Mithril M313A, Armoured Orc. I might have M313B somewhere, too. These came some years ago in a mixed bag, so I might have it or not.

They are very dark. I first made the decision to give them very dark skin, Rhinox Hide, and also paint the wooden parts black, like the bows etc. And most of the leather, too. They have some armour here and there, which I painted quite dark using Iron Warriors and highlighted with Leadbelcher. To make them something else than dark blobs, I decided to use Ushabti Bone to various ropes, rags and similar stuff to break the dark areas. There is a soft drybrush with brown on skin and some grey on blacks.

Gandalf is my favourite, it was a bit difficult to get different greys there, but I guess I managed. There is a soft blue wash on his clothes and cloak and light grey and off-white drybrushing. Beard is grey, drybrushed to white. The hat is light blue, drybrushed with greys. Somehow I managed to make transitions quite smooth, I hope I could do that more often. The one visible eye turned out ok, too. Gandalf is Mithril M228, Gandalf the Wizard.

Morwen and Nienor are quite simple. I guess I'm not alone, who gets confused with dresses and all accesorizies and things like that. What's wrong with chainmail bikini? Anyone, I tried to make them look classic and classy, single colour should do that. Some washes and drybrushes, little bit attention to faces, since they are so visible. The blue dress is basically a basecoat and wash while the orange one is basecoat and drybrush - the latter is very faint in the photos. Morwen and Nienor, Mithril M216.


Mithril minis come with their own bases. I glued them on MDF bases (various sizes) from Warbases and then used some Vallejo Earth Texture to hide the metal base.

3 Orcs, 1 Wizard and 2 Ladies in 28mm for 30 points.

1 Troll, 40mm, for 7 points.

Limousine and High Advanture for 40 points.

The Map

Karwansaray had a Christmas Day sale and I pressed the button to buy couple of rules I have been thinking about for some time. I had some issues with the package tracking, but eventually these arrived on Monday. It seems I might get into some historical skirmishes in the future...

It's a bit of role reversal here as Teemu is my regular minion and it's nice to give some kudos back.  Nice collection of LoTR stuff teems and I'm enjoying your tour of the Studios.  I really like Gandalf and the ladies are lovely too.  The Orcs and Toll are neither nice nor lovely, nor are they meant to be.

35 comments:

  1. Lovely set of minis, Teemu! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gandalf is my favourite here. I too have those Ravenfeast rules, yet to try them, you'll have to let me know how you get on with them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter! Gandalf worked very well. I browsed through Ravenfeast rules, now I need to buy some minis, I guess... I'll keep you informed. :)

      Delete
  3. Looking good Teemu, I’m enjoying your different LOTR minis!
    TomC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good stuff and a varied collection. SP2 is my favorite and Ravenfeast is good for multiple players looking for an low key game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bruce! I hope I get myself into SP2 and Ravenfeast is meant for demoing the hobby and some quick games here and there.

      Delete
  5. Nice work Teemu. Always good to see more orcses.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great stuff, Teemu. I concur with Millsy regarding the orcses, but I think the large troll is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Frederick! The troll seems to have some bone spikes in the elbows, which I didn't paint, but he does look like business nevertheless.

      Delete
  7. Oh, it's not going to go well for the Children of Húrin... I'm still not quite emotionally ready for a re-read...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a sad story, very sad. I have only read it once, too.

      Delete
  8. Thank you minion-Peter, these turned up great, I'm very happy with them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great stuff Teemu, especially the colour way on those orcs and the models of Morwen and Niënor 🇺🇦

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Simon! Sometimes it helps to think outside of the box, when choosing colours. :)

      Delete
  10. More lovely NonGW LotR. Always a delight to see.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another great bunch, Teemu, I do like your Gandalf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I need to try those colours on some other mini, too.

      Delete
  12. Great looking Lotr figures!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very nice, Teemu! I like the Gandalf and the ladies turned out very well. The mithril minis have a lot of character to them

      Delete