Wednesday 1 February 2023

From BruceR; High Adventure; Lady Sarah's Limousine; (85 pts)

Another Wednesday and I find myself on the Casting Couch studio, wanting to travel to the other side of the Yellow Brick Road.  I bid farewell to Cpt M. Caine and attempt to hail Lady Sarah's Limousine service to a ride to High Adventure.  

For the limo ride a Foundry Roman patrician female civilian.  Probably work in a few ages, maybe ancient to dark ages.    

She is painted with a mix of contrast and regular paints.   Quick and ready to fulfill different roles on the table.  


 




We arrive at the High Adventure Studio, no I'm working at sea level rather than mountain peaks.  Adventure on the High Seas. 

I had finished the pirate and royal navy forces for my participation game at Adepticon and had purchased a 28mm Sloop for eye candy on the table.  It came quickly and I put it in the Q for painting.  When I opened the box I found I was missing a MDF section that held the masts for the sloop.  I emailed Firelock Games and received the reply it would be out shortly.  Well, I attribute the delay to the holidays and a Kickstarter they were delivering.  I did receive the parts a couple of weeks ago and set to the bench.  This is an earlier model so Resin (no fiddling about with plastic models) my choice.  Washed it up and started the painting.  I first undercoated in black.  I than, as I do, started hitting the web to find somebody who had done the sloop or similar to see who I could attempt to mimic.  I found a chap at The Plunder Den on YouTube.  I found a video of the sloop and another ship I think painted in Dutch colors, didn't matter I liked it and Pirates can do what they want.  

I used an airbrush for the start and after, set to with paint and brush.

I wanted it to pop on the table and thanks to citadel paints (see below for the 20+ year old bottle of Firey Orange I dug off the shelf) I think it worked.  Amazing how paints last in old bottles.  


Here it is beached.  As it will be at dock in a Pirate cove for the planned scenario, I didn't want to use sails.  I did want some of the rigging, but not tons so the game could go onto the sloop if players decide to go that direction.  





For the deck I used airbrush paints applied by brush.   I wanted to get the planking to seem scrubbed by the crew of CPT Ocd...........  Scrub lads, scrub.  I used Vallejo Old and New Wood Effects.  



Using standard brushes and make up brushes to apply the airbrush paints.  I really like out the deck turned out.  I tried to make the corners grimy and the other bits weather worn.  

 








Here is a Foundry Rum tipper for size.  He will be on guard as the Marines attempt to land at night.  A dice roll will determine when the ol' grog is able to focus his eyes and see the incoming troop boats.  











Scoring is difficult. The ship itself is a little over 12" long.  Another 6" spar forward and 14" mast high.  I added the 28mm tank for scale as well.  The sloop is slightly larger than 2 tanks.  So, I figured 20 pts is standard for a 28mm vehicle, I brought the sloop in at 40 pts.  I'll let Miles slash away if I'm over the top.  Fun build and hope to get it on the table in the near future.

Thanks for looking and cheers.


Points:

Limousine ride + 28mm figure        25 pts
High Adventure  Studio                   20 pts
28mm Sloop                                    40 pts

Total                                                 85 pts

Miles has been press ganged off to see so you'll have to deal with me instead Bruce.  I gotta say I really want that sloop, that's a great looking kit and you've really done it justice.  The wood effects are wonderful and the orange trim really works.  I am fine with 40 points, I see if we can deduct any over-gernous crediting by deducting from Miles' total.

I also really like that Roman lady, I may have to get myself some Roman civilians too.

17 comments:

  1. Nice work, Bruce! The ship is very well done, the orange trim is striking. It does seem the crew needs to scrub harder, buy I like the effect of built up grime in the corners. The Roman lady is prettier than the ship, she looks like she will work in quite a few eras too as you said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a gorgeous ship! Love the attention to detail on stuff like the decks being scrubbed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow... Nicely done with the sloop! Is this for a DnD campaign, cause if so your players are in for a real treat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that sloop is great, have some of those to paint

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great. Those ancient pots of paint really do last don't they?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice job, the wood turned out a treat - your grog guzzler is very well equipped now!
    TomC

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the ship, very inspirational must not look to my own ships, must not become distracted by another project...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Solid looking ship you got there matey. Looks very seaworthy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That wood effect is excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is wonderful, Bruce! The worn and torn, very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful work on your sloop, Bruce. I may have to give that AV wood effects a try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That’s a very fine ship, Bruce! I also like the simple but very colours on the lady. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent looking sloop and good looking matriarch!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete