Wednesday 1 February 2023

From RobH - Numidian Field Force - War Elephants (100 Points)

 I have been ill the last two weeks and haven't done a whole lot other than a lot of napping. This weekend I spent about 4 hours to apply the decals to my Victrix War Elephants. I would have sworn I had ordered two packs of Little Big Man Numidian Elephant transfers, but it looks like I have one Numidian and one Carthaginian. In any case the elephants are ready and the Carthaginian Elephants are obviously plunder.

My first elephant took the longest and I learnt from my errors. Somewhere along the line I lost one of the little corner square decals and caused a dogeared effect on one of the hawdah's side panels. Live and learn. Two much detail for my thick and clumsy fingers, which at times are all thumbs.


Two Victrix War Elephants with crew - Numidian Decals




Two Victrix War Elephants with crew - Carthaginian Decals



Points

12 x 28 mm crewmen @ 5 points each = 60 Points

4 x 28 War Elephants - At the discretion of Minion Miles - I started painting the elephants and the trim on the howdahs pre - AHPC, but hit a brick wall and didn't advance on the project until this weekend when I completed basing and decaling. I hope that the time spent may be worth some points.

Great looking Heffalumps Rob! I really like what I've seen of these Victrix ancient kits.  I flat out do not have the patience for 4 hours torture with transfers however nice the end effect is, and yours look very nice.  Once I figure the SSOD out I'll adjust your score to include the Elephants on the bait of "Miles said it was ok".  

I wasn't sure if Elephants count as a vehicle or a mount.  In the end, I went with 10 points per Pachyderm in the full knowledge that someone will correct me and point out the error of my ways.


19 comments:

  1. Lovely work here. I can attest that these decals are tricky as you will see in my post later today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work, Rob! I like the colors very much. I share your pain with decals. Lost every one I applied to an army fresh painted before a deployment! Still they are nice and pop and add to the ancient 🚌! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Rob. I did some for the challenge a while back and can remember how tedious all the decals were

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also spend a lot of time napping… there’s nothing wrong with me but hopefully you’re feeling better! The elephants are certainly looking good for it!
    TomC

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see that the decals are a pain, but they really take the model up even higher!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a really nice entry, just brilliant

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely elephants! They have been scored as vehicles for 20 points a piece, but if they were started before Challenge, I guess 10 points each is fair.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice painting - will look great in the battle line!
    Cheers JezT

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent work. The decal time is worth the effort. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  10. A bit of hard work, but your efforts really paid off. They look tremendous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great looking elephants, Rob, whatever the nationality!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome looking elephants! Will you really be able to firld four?
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No likely using ADLG but there are always other rule sets

      Delete
  13. Thank you all for your kind comments. I am pleased with how the elephants turned out. Adding the decals was well worth the effect.

    ReplyDelete