Wednesday 1 February 2023

From KyleC - Arthouse - (120 points)

So more painting though less than previous weeks.. 

First off the finishing of some D&D bits for the forthcoming game this weekend. 

A pet spider for one of the characters. Needed to be scary and dark so this hit the spot. Model 3d printed from Loot Studios and painted with contrast and wash paints. 

For myself I painted a few variations of what my character would be. Have asked the group advice on which one to take to play with but will put it out to my fellow bloggers here in their thoughts also. 

The DM also requires an arcane object for the mission this weekend.. so I came up with this item from CastnPlay..

Very simple and easy to get done and should do the job there.. 

Then I also painted a small warband of English Civil War models in a test scheme for a London Brigade. 

Received these models last week from a friend alongside a model I bought from him. He figured it would be better in my hands than his as the likelihood of getting paint was higher here.. seems that was correct. I was trialing out a color scheme for my wider ECW army project from years ago that I plan to tackle this year. And I think it came out ok? 

Only issue here was no pike's for 3 models but as a trial I am ok with that. And also them being on round bases I figure I can also use them for some sort of skirmish warband styled gaming in the future also. 

Now the Arthouse Studio Entry. Was really enamored with PeterBs go at a Bust. And I haven't painted one of them for a while. So I thought I would give it a go. 

Have printed out this Zodiac Bust by Yedharo models and their KS. This is the Cancer sign in Bust format. Which is my Son's Zodiac Sign. Figures he is that sign considering how good he is at swimming and being 14 how cranky (crabby) he can be when he wakes for school these days 😏

I wanted to play around with the color blue. And try to make it feel like it's under water or water based? I had started with airbrushing blue tones on it from below and above. And then began to play with it some from there. Can say that a few trials later, some restarts and repriming, I finally gave up after several hours of painting and errors. 

So ended up slapping metal over a few spots instead of trying to finish up the NMM styled technique I had trialed on the helmet and armor sections.

But I am ok with it in the end, and my son thinks it's cool. So now to go and finish up one for myself and my partner. Being Sagittarius and Capricorn. 

It's not a massive bust sitting at about 60mm tall but packs enough details to make it interesting all the same. 

Points for this week;
16*28mm figures =80 PTS
60mm Bust = ??? PTS 
Arthouse Studio = 20 PTS 
Total 100 + bust

Ability for the Directors Chair Studio is available now.. What task with the Snow Overlord give me I wonder 🤔


Great stuff here Kyle that spider is nasty looking and I really like that Arcane Object.  I'm sure I could figure out what it does if I play with the various bits long enough....

I like the let people choose which mini to represent your DnD character.  I'd go with Mr Non-Chalant under the lantern if I get a vote.  personally I'd never let my gaming buddies choose my mini out of fear, 

Nice collection of ECW types and that Bust is awesome, love the blue effects.  Good luck with the crabby 14 year old.   My experience with parenting is that the first 27 years are the worst.  Since Miles awarded 40 points on PeterB’s bust at 140mm, I’ll go with 20 points for your 60mm bust.

I'll need to figure out the points value of that bust and let the Snowlord work on an appropriate task (perhaps finding Miles....).

It looks like I've cleared the Ready posts for today, so I will sign off as temp and return you to your regularly scheduled Minions.

34 comments:

  1. Excellent work all round, Kyle, but especially that bust! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin, still think I could do better on the bust, but glad you like it. Appreciate that very much and makes me think maybe I can finish the other 2 soon then.

      Delete
  2. fantastic, the ECW are really cool but the orrery is marvellous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Martin. Not sure what the orrery is, but I also think the ECW is quite cool.. and easy to paint up! Might have to dig out the rest of the army and get them finished up now!

      Delete
    2. Your 'arcane device' is an example of an orrery - a mechanical model of a solar system that predicts the movement of planets and moons. ;^)

      Delete
    3. Well.. learn something new everyday here! Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Another vote for Lantern Leaner!

    I also think those ECW minis are great - trial scheme approved!

    TomC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom. Seems Later man is in the lead for sure.. with all the votes 😅

      Delete
  4. I've got to agree, lamp post leaner is a clear winner here. Lovely work on the bust. Great blue shading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The original blues put down were not so great but got there in the end I guess.

      Delete
  5. Everything is great. Excellent work. Love the different models.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice. The ECW figs are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Millsy.. I can see myself painting a full army in those colors for sure.

      Delete
  7. A great looking collection of miniatures, Kyle. Well done. I concur with those who voted for the dude leaning on the lamp post.

    Regarding the missing pikes on your three ECW figures, you could always try florist wire similar to what I used for the banner pole on my Gamling conversion. I have hammer the stuff flat to make replacement swords, or to put spear points on the end of spears (with a bit of filing). You could probably file a point on the end to make a reasonable looking pike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fred. Floral wire.. great idea. Will have to look into that though I have to order some replacements for the fuller army so I suspect I will just order some extras for these guys. But great to know for alternatives in the future.

      Delete
  8. Nice collection of figures. I hope to receive some inspiration from your ECW London band

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both there! 😅 Hoping to smash through them once I get them organised.

      Delete
  9. That's a great set of figures!

    ReplyDelete
  10. All good stuff but I really like what you've done with the ECW figures Kyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mate. Happy to see so much love for them here?

      Delete
  11. The DnD characters are ace, but I don't know which would be favourite....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah all work for me but it's why I put it out to the group to help decide 😅

      Delete
  12. Great work, Kyle. Your D&D group are spoiled with having you spin-off these models for them. Love your ECW efforts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt! The game this Sunday will be interesting to say the least.. especially with a player coming in from America and all!

      Delete
  13. Some great looking figures Kyle. Love the London Band.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Ray. I think I can manage an army in this color easily enough..

      Delete
  14. Great stuff, Kyle, I have heard good things from Loot studios and these look the part. Your ECW figures are very nice too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loot Studios is good overall but have a few misses. Plus some of their pieces are verrrrry fragile... Esptwhen removing supports..

      Delete
  15. Lovely looking collection of figures, I especially liked the ECW ones, I'm another one who uses florists wire, I'm just too lazy to give them a point!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great to know concerning the floral wire. Will pick some up then for in case of emergencies then!

      Delete
  16. Very nice stuff, Kyle! The spider is creepy well done! The rogue is nice too( another lamp post vote) I like the reds and buff tones on the ECW troops. My fav is the bust for your son. That blue is really nice as is his armor!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Superb Kyle, the bust is fabulous

    ReplyDelete