Wednesday 1 February 2023

From PeterB Barbarians, Greeks and Cowboys - 322 points


 

 My journey last week stopped off at my first blue studio, Arthouse. This week, a swift journey around three more blue studios bringing me closer to a full house.

Up until now I have mostly been painting individual models to match the studios, now the groups begin. These have been in progress since the beginning of the challenge, my inability to paint large groups of models without getting bored means I was using the age old method of awarding myself with a character to paint if I made progress on a group project.

So, first stop Fantasy. During lockdown, I went a bit hobby crazy and went all out with the Frostgrave box sets. I built a human fantasy army for Dragon Rampant with the Soldiers 1 and 2 and the Wizards plastic sets. I also bought two boxes of Barbarians and combined them for the beginnings of a Barbarian army. So, when they released a Female Barbarian plastic box set, I had to get them. Dragon Rampant uses unit sizes of 6 and 12 and there are 20 Barbarians in the box. Luckily I had already 4 Bad Squiddo Shield Maiden Archers painted up which match up pretty well, so from the box I made up 8 Archers and 12 Barbarians with two handed weapons.

The Archers



Barbarians with two handed weapons



I kept them all to the same limited palette of colours and then just mixed up where the colours went. They are all then covered in Coat D'arms dark brown Super Shader to give them that grimy unwashed look to match the rest of the army.


Next on our whistle stop tour, over to studio Swords and Sandals.  One of my other hobby addictions of late has been buying the blue book range of Osprey War game rules (including the aforementioned Dragon Rampant.) Another one of the books being Of Gods and Mortals. A game system where the various gods from history and mythology skirmish battle accompanied by their worshipers. A long time ago after being inspired by the film 300 (Yep, that long ago) I had bought some Spartan warriors from the War-gods of Aegyptus range but painted them up and did nothing with them. Now I could use them for a Greek warband.

So, I needed a God and few more Greeks. At the end of the last challenge I painted up the Greek archers from a Victrix plastics box-set. I have finally got around to continuing the project.

Zeus, from the North Star, Of Gods and Mortals range


Not including his wild hair, Zeus is actually about 50mm tall, so that he towers of mere mortals.


Unarmoured Hoplites


Yes, the shields are transfers, but I couldn't resist them. They look so good.

And finally for this week our last stop, the Westerns Studio. Well, I have been meaning to finish off the rest of my plastic cowboys from Great Escape Games.



Yes the guy on the far right has the same head as Dum Dum Duggan from the other week.

I promise that's it for this week. So, to the points.

20 x Barbarians @ 28mm. 20 x 5 = 100pts

1 x Zeus @ 40mm. = 7pts

24 x Hoplites @ 28mm. 24 x 5 = 120pts

7 x cowboys @ 28mm. 7 x 5 = 35pts

3 studio visits. 3 x 20 = 60pts


Total = 322 points.

You are whizzing about the studios on this post Peter.  I am loving the barbarians (does any one else sing the Beach Boys Barbara Ann when they say that word?). Using the limited palette but switching combinations works well.

I also really like Zeus with his wild hair -  but you got expect some static zaps when you chuck lightning bolts?  Nice work on the Hoplites and your shield transfers look awesome.  Plus a nice collection of Cowboys.

31 comments:

  1. Nice assortment of stuff Peter. I think the gunslingers are my fav but they're all cool. You're tempting me towards the FG Barbarians...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it Millsy, they are great models with multiple weapons choices in two different box sets. It means you can easily get enough variety for a whole army.

      Delete
  2. Top-notch points bomb, Peter! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamsin. My leadpile is looking a bit thin now. If you see me at Salute laden under bags of purchases it is purely to ensure I have enough to paint for next years challenge.

      Delete
  3. Whirlwind tour indeed! And almost gotten through all the studios as well... Cracking work there mate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kyle. I'll let you in on a secret. My models for the next stop have been intimidating me as I really don't want to mess them up, only reason they aren't done yet.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Martin. They are a particular favourite. I can't wait to get them on a table for a game.

      Delete
  5. Some great choices here, I particularly liked the barbarian with the essential horned helmet / great axe combo and the shields with leering faces!
    TomC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom. Yep I wouldn't want to face those Barbarians in real life.

      Delete
  6. Wow. Nice bomb. Love them all and fabulous cowboys.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bruce. I already had a full Western town of models but I couldn't resist the plastic box set.

      Delete
  7. Great collection of figures Peter, Nice indeed

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a great collection, I think Zeus and his boys are my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a great points bomb, lovely painting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I've just realised it's taken me over my target too.

      Delete
  10. I have the same set of gunslingers, it is great. I like the barbarians, too, you have made good colour choices and the limited palette works well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Teemu. The gunslinger are great aren't they? I'm sure I've said it before but they are proper compatible with the Stargrave sprues too, so all those spare bits come in handy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous! I'm with Barks. Zeus and his lads ftw! :) Don't apologize for using transfers. As you say, they are brilliant and really set up the unit nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Curt. I must admit, transfers have come a long way since I started back in the last millennium. These stuck on really nicely once I got the hang of them

    ReplyDelete
  14. Luivly work Peter. I do like the cowboys, thank gawd for sheild transfers ah? Imagine having to paint those. Fab work though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ray. If I hand painted those shields, trust me they wouldn't look as good.

      Delete
  15. These are all great! The barbarians are very impressive, and I love your cowboys!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great looking post Zeus and his followers look ace!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. Now I just need to get my head round the God's and Mortals rules.

      Delete
  17. Nice work, Peter! There is much to enjoy, but I definitely enjoyed the pictures of the hopilites, really did the colors on them, the gunfighter are nice to are they plastic or metal? I really like the towering Zeus too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks David. The Gunslingers are a plastic set from Great Escape Games. I think they do a second box of female ones now too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Super entries my favorite are the gun slingers

    ReplyDelete