Thursday 9 March 2023

From ByronM - Hagglethorne Hollow Terrain (70 points)

I then went about doing the crazy thing of printing them in resin rather than filament that most people did due to their size.  It took a LONG time and was done in pieces that then had to be filed and fitted and greenstuffed together.  Even done as hollows they still used up a ton of resin, but I think they look great (way better than filament printing with lines all over them) so was well worth it. I printed the two buildings over 2 years ago and then never got around to painting them.  

First up is the wizards tower, complete with crazy roof that is removable.  Actually the building has several internal areas that could technically be used, but I didn't want to deal with stacking and separating pieces so just glued the whole thing together (the insides were not really big enough to be usable anyway). 

I kept to a pretty standard colour palette other than a very fantasy coloured blue roof.  Grey for stone and brown for the wood.  I made sure to add a little colour variation to both the stone and roof for a more natural look and think it worked out well.  The tower is pretty massive, as shown by a 32mm scale Dwarf next to it, it is 7" x 7" x 14" tall!  The top is a bit narrower than the bottom, so I am going to call it 1.5 cubes of terrain.

Next up is a simple cottage, which I did in much the same colour scheme as the tower, but added the stucco in as a light tan for some contrast against the stone and wood.  Again this had an interior, but was not very large or useful so I just glued it all closed.  It is 7" x 6" x 6" so 1 cube worth of terrain.


I wanted to paint them to use in games like Frostgrave so will probably end up flocking the roofs with some snow effect, and almost did it already other than 2 issues.  First, I was out of snow flock and havent been able to find anyone with stock of the stuff I like, and secondly the wife pointed out that it could limit their use on the table, so I really have to think about that for a while.  That said they are technically done anyway, so here they are for scoring.

Last up is a set of four Hagglethorn Hollow barricades.  Each one is a fairly large piece by itself with a ton of detail on each.  Therefore while not technically filling a 6" cube, I am claiming each as a figure (due to size and complexity) and calling it 5 points per for 20 points for the 4.  Tamsin can adjust as she see fit, but I feel its fair scored that way, but in the end, points schmoints who really cares....

These were both a lot of fun to paint, and a pain in the ass to paint.  I mean they are so dense with little details, that I just kept getting stuck on what to paint next and what colour on them.  I started these the first week of the challenge and kept getting stuck on them and setting them aside.  Eventually I just gave up and kept to about 6 main colours and just "got them done".  You could literally spend DAYS picking out each pot, jar, piece of wood, coin, rope, etc and I just kept getting overwhelmed by them.

Total I have this as 3.5 terrain cubes so 70 points, but again adjust as required.



That terrain is amazing, Byron. There is a trick I've discovered for hiding the layer lines on filament prints - a couple of coats of matt Mod Podge (larger layer heights will need more coats than smaller layer heights); that would save the time, hassle and cost of hollowing out the STLs and then resin printing them.

Tamsin


15 comments:

  1. Excellent terrain and I can totally see the barricades sucking up your time!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent terrain, Byron! Needless to say I have the STL’s, but have not yet printed them. Seeing these lovely buildings makes me want to, so very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool looking buildings and barricades.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look excellent Byron. Great additions to your terrain collection.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some fine terrain there Byron

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work Byron. I especially like the barricades - all that work paid off

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great looking terrain here Byron!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent work Byron. Well done, the furniture piles are great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look fab, I remember seeing the price note on the original casts so 3D printing is definitely a great option. You've done a lovely job here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fabulous table piece that tower is, bravo

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice terrain, Byron! From the haphazard barricades to the whimsical buildings, very nice brushwork! I agree with your wife as those buildings would work for moonstone and other games....I kept expecting Henson's Labrynth goblins to sprout out of them while Bowie sings! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely buildings, Byron, I really like the colours used on the roofs, for example. Brilliant job, good to see them finished during the Challenge.

    ReplyDelete