Thursday 9 March 2023

From PeterD: Picts - The Boar People (65 points)

 




Picture from the Osprey book "Pictish Warrior" taken from a stone carving.  Can you tell that I'm really loving researching this army? 






After my one off three post week, I have slowed down and had to rush to get one post in for this week.  I have a unit of 12 more Picts for this week, this time from the Boar people.  They are very much like my previous Pict units, Gripping Beat plastics with two metal GB commanders.  The hairier heads come from the Victrix Unarmoured Romans box, which includes bits for Goths, Germans or similar.  Sadly I have no heads featuring the fine curls or mullets of the figures above. However, I can represent the long tunics and square shields.  My Picts are likely better equipped than their historical counterparts.  Armour (even helmets) was rare, as were proper swords.  In both cases, their primary source was trade or plunder from the Romans.  I was originally skeptical of the axes, but it looks like there are pictograms and archeological findings to support their use even in early times.



I tried to include more tartans this time around.  I'm still not wild about the results up close, but I am pleased with the buffalo plaid on the dude in the front rank.  I gave them dark red shields with typical Pictish designs, I have a lot of fun free handing these.  I based the flag on the picture from this BBC article which was brought to my attention by prolific Blogger Ralphus.  I fast tracked my basing to get them ready to post Thursday and found I didn't have Boar People unit labels ready to go so those will be added this weekend.





So that makes it 60 points for 12 28mm foot figures.



It's fun watching your army of Picts grow, Peter. I'm adding 6 points for the hand painted shield and flag designs, but deducting 1 point for the missing label!

Tamsin

24 comments:

  1. Thanks Tamsin. The Minion giveth and the Minion taketh away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent 👍 Got some Picts to do and your stuff is a great inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the colours in this lot Peter and that boat is the best flag yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon. I was out of practice on my flags, but I’m getting up to speed now.

      Delete
  4. Great Picts, Peter! I think the tartans stand up pretty well, even up close. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent looking Picts, lovely work on them and nice flag!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Iain. Weren’t you planning some units from the same period?

      Delete
  6. Boar People are my kind of people. Wonderful work Peter. The shields are very eye catching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt. I’ll look for you to sport a mullet and an ankle length tunic.

      Delete
    2. You obviously missed me in the 90s. )

      Delete
  7. Those shields are great. Lovely work

    ReplyDelete
  8. Superb Peter, and nice back story to the unit

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  9. I quite like your Pict army, Peter! You are certainly packing in the color on the different tribes! The bases look very animated too for howling, bearded tribesmen! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David. They’re an ancient army that would suit you I think.

      Delete
  10. Very nice Picts, Peter! Nice to see this army grow and follow your research.

    ReplyDelete