Thursday 9 March 2023

From SteveA: 90s Sci Fi Film: Legions of Steel meets Battle Tech (65 points)

It seems I got lost for a couple weeks in one of the Janitor closets at the AHPC studios.  Any rumors about me spending an inordinate amount of time aggressively disagreeing with a closet door regarding the directionality of push verses pull are (aside from the parts that are woefully true) categorically false...

When I emerged from my accidental oubliette of sanitary supply storage, I found myself at the edge of the AHPC Sci-Fi studio lot. 

After a quick accounting about my piles of unpainted shame, I was presented with many a legion of unpainted 40k and Necromunda minis that could be fit to this studio's purpose,  all calling longingly  for the caresses from a paint laden brush.  However, when I thrust my hand deep into the pile of neglected and unloved lead, it was the Legions Of Steel that were found by my grasping palm.


I remember buying the Legions of Steel box game when it was released in 1992, thinking it would be a unique game that I could host for my gaming circle at the time. However, due to the gravitational forces of all things Games Workshop dominating the zeitgeist my 90s gaming group, after only a couple nights gaming the Legions of Steel fell off the play time radar. Then a few years later a busted game box after a house move saw to the departure of all the game pieces but the cool minis.  The Steel Nightmare minis I have were painted long ago, but these Commandos who opposed them have long awaited paint.


I decided to see if I could try to 'Speed Paint" these minis, priming them with a dark blue and then hit with  a white zenithal coat, followed up mostly with yellow/orange Army Painter speed paints.   But let us just say my planned efforts ended up as more a longish learning experience  with enough redo painting to leave the notion of speed behind, but which did give me a better understanding for how the resins in some speed paints behave (and reactivate!) 

 and also...

When I grabbed the Steel Legions Commandos from the the old pile of grey lead it seems there was some 90s mini magnetism at play, as my only old  Battle Tech 'Goliath' mini  came along for the ride to the AHPC sci fi  studios.


 Battle Tech was a hot game topic for a couple months in my old game group before Battle Tech (like many other 'new' games at the time)  simply could not over come the Games Workshop dominance for consuming player game time and mini money.  This old Ral Partha sculpt saw a few games (and few rounds of bad paint and paint stripping) but now this AHPC inspired  modern mix of paints, speed paints and dry brushing I think can at last take this old chunk of lead out of the pile of shame and onto the display shelf.


So for the AHPC studios this week  I laid paint upon some old minis to craft a 90's Sci Fi film, as a homage to the doomed diversions that were the games tried in yester year but denied the many more hours play time they deserved.


x9 28mm Foot Figures, Sci Fi        Total = 65 points
Legions of Steel Commandos ( 8x5pts) = 40pts
Battle Tech Goliath                                 =  5 pts
Green Studio Pass: 'Sci-Fi'                     = 20 pts 


Great set of SciFi figures for the studio, Steve! 

Tamsin

12 comments:

  1. Wow, Legions of Steel... the old Global Games/Marco Pecota joint. Takes me back, nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice minis. Battletech has been making a comeback recently, maybe Legions of Steel will one day make its way back too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent looking retro scifi figures!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  4. Geez, Legions of Steel. Now, that takes me back. It's so awesome to see some of these venerable minis again. Love the Goliath too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work and throw back game. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely work. Did I hear somewhere that the original authors were trying to bring back Legion of Steel (or did I dream it)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work on those legions of steel

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fantastic to see these great old minis get a new lease of life Steve!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some classic minis, Steve! I am sorry I wasn't the only one who was surprised by the reactivation of the army speedpaints....kinda hurts when you lose the base color but highlights and shadows remain.
    Still you recovered them well! Stubbornness is a virtue! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is always nice to see some old minis getting paint and some variation to the domination of big companies. Well done, Steve, and glad you found your way back to the Challenge.

    ReplyDelete