Thursday 9 March 2023

from GeoffreyT: Directors Chair (50 points)

 The mighty Snowlord set me a challenge to paint my Froghemoth sculpt.

What is a Froghemoth I hear you ask?   It is the final boss from the classic dungeons and dragons module "Expedition to the barrier peaks"

Here is the original art by the incredible Erol Otis.


My Froghemoth sculpt doesn't quite match the original art, but is fairly similar.  Is over 100mm in each direction.



As you can see, this one is juvenile, as it still has its tail.


The face looks kind of sad


Thats because 'the nice man' (see legs on the base) doesn't want to play with the juvenile Froghemoth.

In all fairness, his castle did collapse and crush him.


So for the directors chair I have one massive monster.  Is the size of a 28mm vehicle I think.

1 x Monsters = 20 points

Directors Chair bonus = 20 points

Total = 60 points.



Well, that's definitely a bizarre boss-monster, Geoffrey, and one sculpted by yourself. I'm not sure if you've been given any bonus points for all the sculpting you've done, but I'm going to award soem and round your score up to 50 points.

Tamsin






13 comments:

  1. Wonderfully old school figure, and a home sculpt to boot. Excellent work Geoff, I’ve been enjoying your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work I think I remember that guy from the early 90s

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Froghemoth! And if anyone's searching Google for this artist, his surname is spelled "Otus" - he's my absolute favourite artist from the D&D stable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on finishing challenge and great self-sculpt and painting.
    Cheers JezT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely sculpt. The teeth and scales/boils are first rate and the colours match the original very well. 👏

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great work, Geoff, both the sculpting and the painting. I have very much enjoyed your homemade figures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent D&D monster from the vaults of time!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man, that looks tremendous! I love the sculpt you've done, Geoff. I too have a soft spot for Otis' work - it brings such nostalgia. A very worthy Director's Chair submission!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic work on your final piece for the director!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Grand job on the beastie in paint and sculpt, Geoffrey! I think I still have that module buried on my bookshelf!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice monster, Geoffrey! Characterful sculpting as usual and well painted!

    ReplyDelete