Tuesday 14 March 2023

From SimonG: A Final Flourish - The Temple Mount CE 70 in 28mm (1390 points)

For my final post of this challenge I'm delighted to serve up my big project for the past six months -- a recreation of a slice of the Temple Mount and Antonia Fortress at the time of the Jewish Revolt CE 66-74.


Something's Afoot!


Historic Context

There is still an ongoing archaeological debate as to what exactly the temple mount looked like. Given the ongoing religious and political sensitivity at the site it's not practical to go digging it up so there's still lots of room for alternative theories.  While most representations of the Antonia Fortress see it as some complex multi tower structure there is one theory that it was actually a Roman Military fort linked to the mount itself by two foot bridges -- these bridges are described in some detail by Josephus.



In part because modelling this layout seemed feasible I chose to build a slice of the corner of Antonia and the start of the two bridges as shown in the illustration above. In real life the bridges were about 600' long so at 2' each this either represents appx 20% of the bridge, or it's more of an approximation (lets say a 3-5x scale up). Incidentally I think one could use the exact same layout for a good mass combat game at 12-15mm scale which sounds like a possible future project!


Construction Approach

The base elements of the model are six Panel Systems Craftfoam 24"x24"x4" (600x600x100 for those in Europe!) slabs -- a great material that is easy to work with but does dent easily so treat it carefully. The architectural elements are a mix of Sarissa and Empires at War MDF kits but most have been customised.


Buildings and base before cladding

The specifics to get the required finish included

  • Carving out the rough West side into the panels (across two that stack) and finishing with Geek Gaming Modelling Compound which is a base for scatters and also gives a good rock effect in itself;
  • Building the two walkways from eight Sarissa aqueducts;
  • Cladding all wall surfaces (including into the base panels themselves) with a thin layer of room temperature hardening modelling clay which was rolled for brick or random stone texture;
  • Using the same approach for the walkways themselves and for the ground in the temple section;
  • Making up a simple wall to edge the West side of the temple walkway area with lengths of MDF finished with clay cladding;
  • Tiling the roofs of the Sarissa temple and workshops with card tiles;
  • Carving a stair way into the base and adding scratch built stairs and a re-purposed Empires at War main door;
  • Painting in a wide selection of Wilko matt sample pots with Citadel washes (the main walls are thinned Reikland Flesh Shade which gave a great pinky Petra like effect) and dry brushing;
  • Finishing the interiors and floors of the Temple and Workshops with printed mosaics and printed painted walls;
  • And a good selection of attractive flowers and greenery flocks on the temple section to contrast with the dry/business like fortress.

Two panels stacked and carved

Extra effort to add tiles


Papered temple walls and floor - suitably smoke blackened!

The parts in finished form


The Finished Product

The final piece is a 4' square with two levels of playing surface. This allows for multiple scenarios with either side as aggressor or defender. I'll add some ladders and other siege machinery to allow for scenarios in which the Romans are attacking from their ramp on the top side in the shot below. The scenario set out here has the Jewish revolutionaries attacking from the temple side across the bridges into the Antonia fortress with the Romans rushing to respond.



I still have some more scatter elements to add but in the main part it's pretty much finished (other than a statue and other pieces for the temple interior).



















And the points?

I reckoned points using the standard cube method for all of the 3D elements and then half points for the flat finished surfaces such as the clad walls and rough stoney grass area -- I'm not claiming any points for the large sandy surface of the fortress or for the stone clad ground within the temple bridge area but as every the Minion's verdict is final!

All dimensions in the table below are good old Imperial Inches!




By my calculation I should be good for 284 points which will at last take me to my 1000 point target for the challenge.


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *


With this last entry I'll bid farewell for this time and want to extend my thanks to our esteemed minion Tamsin and all of the Tuesday crew plus of course as always to the Snow Lord himself and the gracious Lady Sarah!


What mystery awaits?

Next year perhaps I might get to the Temple itself (anyone know of a stock of Roman columns as I'll need loads and loads of those!)



I'm sorry to say this, but your points claim for these hills is woefully inadequate compared to MartinC's recent range of hills. You leave me with no option but to increase the claim based on a guesstimate of the actual volume - I reckon the volume of all the bits you claimed a discount on the surface area of (rather than volume) comes to about 57 cubes. Adding on the 12.5 cubes for the bits you correctly claimed, that gives you 1390 points for this submission.

Tamsin

35 comments:

  1. Well that’s a bit of a jump in points Tamsin! Maybe terrain is worth it 🤪 there are 64 cubes worth of volume in the base itself and I did paint all sides so I guess we could end up in the range you suggest! Anyway I hadn’t reckoned on these many points and it’ll certainly make it tough for me to beat my challenge total in future years 😃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would have been a bit more, but I allowed for volume of craft foam removed to create the slopes.
      Terrain pieces like this and Martin's hills do seem to break the model as far as points go.

      Delete
    2. Yes they do, but isn't that what rules are for.

      Delete
  2. Really a "GRAND FINALE"! Amazing project

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! I've been working up to this one 🤪 Thanks Benito!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Rob - I'm glad it all came together nicely and I learned a lot of good techniques in the process

      Delete
  4. That is one heck of a board to game on! I like the multi levels and those two bridges to fight across. Very nice work. Simon! It is also pretty sweet with the sectional build. You can easily add another board or two!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh, the expansion possibilities, as well as the Temple itself I could even extend into the winding streets of the city?

      Delete
  5. Wow. Just wow. What an amazing piece of work. Superb stuff, Simon. Just gobsmacking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt -- that's really good to hear and I greatly appreciate your feedback. Photographing something this large is a challenge as of course it won't fit in my usual several figure setup but with some very bright lights and a good tripod I think I got OK results

      Delete
  6. Literally jaw dropping, I just put my elbow in drool. Amazing, I want to see an AAR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter -- presumably you don't want me to crash DaveD's B52 into it (Air Accident Review) so instead a future report on battles fought! Maybe it's time for me to start blogging 🧐

      Delete
    2. @simon.. that would though look cool !

      Delete
  7. That's fantastic Simon, a real table centre piece

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kerry - although it does rather overhang my dining table 🤪

      Delete
  8. I am really pleased that you got loads of points for this, it's really good and miles better than my hills. But think of the storage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martin - I’d have been delighted with the 284 points I estimated and it all packs into the two cardboard boxes the base slabs shipped in plus three Really Useful Boxes - plus I’ve got lots of room for storage.

      Delete
    2. @martin - should have tried harder 😂😂

      Delete
  9. Ye Gods .. that’s some creation . I love it well done

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dave -- nice to have a year's planning and work pay off -- now to get the figures all finished and put it to use

      Delete
  10. Wait for it. Boom, what a submission. Great work and a true show stopper. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bruce -- I think I'll be taking a rest from starting new terrain projects for a while though! Maybe something easier like 10mm cold war buildings 😏

      Delete
  11. So my comment on your last post of, let's see the Temple of Solomon was partially accurate, awesome work, great attention to detail and yes an AAR please!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of a First Temple project as well ... maybe in a smaller scale! Thanks for the kind words Iain

      Delete
  12. What a splendid and fabulous piece of work, Simon! Playable and and very diorama-like at the same time. I also love the tale of its construction. Really well done, truly spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Martijn, it was fun to put it all together (even with the dead ends that had to be scraped off - don’t ask about the Chinchilla sand I tried to use as a ground finish 🤪)

      Delete
  13. Fantastic work on this terrain - a real joy to view

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike. Really appreciate your kind words

      Delete
  14. Replies
    1. Thanks Matt, glad you liked it

      Delete
    2. You have inspired me to complete my Roman city

      Delete
    3. Can't wait to see what that looks like! Hopefully ready by next time around

      Delete
  15. Stunning work! "It belongs in a museum!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s far too kind Barks! I lm just looking forward to getting some playing in, but after I’ve run up some more figures based on all the good suggestions folks have given me over the past few months

      Delete