Sunday 21 January 2024

From DallasE: Golden (Well Green Now Actually) Dragon (20 points)


Knocked off one here that's been primed for a few weeks - it's an ancient Golden Dragon sculpted by the legendary Tom Meier for Ral Partha back in the 1980s. I have a soft spot for these old dragons and this one is just superb isn't it!


Such a characterful face on this magnificent beast... I just had to paint him green.


Let me tell you it was a bit of a struggle to find an appropriate base for him but Challenger ByronM came through for me with an mdf base from his Northern Lights Terrain shop. Cheers Byron!


Shown here for scale with a Citadel knight (of about the same era) from their BC1 "Adventurers Starter Set." I like the unusual pose of the dragon - sort of just checking things out rather than roaring and being all intimidating. But by the look of him you'd still think twice about trying to steal his gold - he just looks clever and sneaky.


Here he is with one of the old Metal Magic female adventurers by Josef Ochmann. Looks like they're having a nice chat.


This was a fun model to paint - mostly - the only difficulty was reaching some of his scales that are blocked by the wings, and the underside of his tail. But I think he turned out OK.

As for scoring, I'm going to claim the equivalent of a 28mm vehicle - 20 points.

See you next time!

Great work on the 'golden' dragon there.. a very OOP sculpt of one that is I guess a bit retro now compared to whats on the market. But I do love these old sculpts and you have done it quite the justice as well here. 

Wonderful work
Kyle

12 comments:

  1. Great work Dallas! Really like the eyes. You've managed to covey sneaky intelligence, rather than dumb might.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic paint work Dallas, on a classic model! Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's an excellent dragon; I think it has a touch of the Discworld.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic work on the dragon love the way he's sneaking up. the green is perfect

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work on the dragon. Meier's work always has a lot of character.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great mini and your brushwork and colour choice does justice on it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how you did his eyes, he looks really devious and up to no good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a great old sculpt and you've done a wonderful job with him. The crouched down pose has a kid's book vibe to it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this dragon! I painted it as a Red when I was a teen. Brings back good memories. Lovely work Dallas, especially on the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fun miniature and great brush work.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That dragon most certainly brings back memories! Very nicely done, Dallas!

    ReplyDelete