Monday 12 February 2024

From SimonG: Cathar Peasant Levies in 15mm (44 points)

Just a single submission from me this week as my next pieces takes rather more time than I had thought. For the week this is a further continuation of my Albigensian Crusade project in 15mm with a civilian levy stand for Impetus.


Arise and Fight Back!

Clearly a mix of figures wielding in most part farm implements but with a couple of fellows with swords, one of which at least looks rather rusty!  

One problem I'm still wrestling with is how to get true rendition of the shininess (albedo?) of the figures. In real life they are much more matte then they appear on photographs -- any advice from more experienced miniature photographers would be much appreciated! Maybe a more diffuse and indirect light source would help (currently it's a direct albeit line source light.)






I tried to get a good mix of dun greens and browns with the older woman as a focal splash of colour. Her son is also a nice little figure throwing a rock. It was also interesting to try and work variation given the limited range of poses in the set (which once again is from Khurusan Miniatures)



That Sword Looks a Bit Worn!





I will also use the lady with the saucepan to catch a ride on Sarah's library cart away from my abject failure in Romance to the hopefully more hospitable local history section where next week I can share some visitors to my neighbourhood! Until then all the best!






For points I have 12 15mm figures plus the 20 point library cart bonus for an easy 44 points and another tick towards the target I will not reach!
 
Sylvain: Again, very impressive brush work at 15mm scale. Did you paint eyes on some of these peasants? Unbelievable! It's a small step in points, but it's a big leap in demonstrating your talent. Fabulous job! 


26 comments:

  1. Thanks Sylvain! Yes you are right, I do paint the eyes but a simplified process (black base shape, white inside, wash) - at 28mm I also dot the eyeballs and gloss the eye! The 15mm figures do all however have eyebrows and lips 😏!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathars. Now, that's not a period we often see. Lovely work Simon, especially in 15mm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Curt -- not an especially peaceful period in history and a complex situation to wargame but the location and the characters appealed to me -- the same figures can also be used in some contemporaneous conflicts such as the Battle of Las Navas de Tolosa

      Delete
  3. Wonderful work on these 15mms Simon, also really good to see this period represented. I think most of us suffer from "bounce" on our photos, and I certainly don't have a solutions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also love the lady with the skillet.

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much Peter -- that skillet broke off many times, hopefully with her now in situ and no chance of my trying to pick her up by her pan she will be safe!

      Delete
  4. Nice work Simon, good question re brightness - In the past I found some washes made figures appear shiny, not sure how or why but my efforts to get rid of it with Matt Varnish failed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kerry -- agree on washes, I apply a matte varnish which takes the edge off, its more of an issue under the bright lights for photography

      Delete
  5. You are insane Simon in the best of ways, that is brilliant, eyes at 15mm, I don't do them at 28. what a fabulous entry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that -- I always take time on faces -- to me they make the figures come alive, and they are also some of the hardest tones to get right (plus hands and feet I love too, all my figures have perfect manicures!)

      Delete
  6. Very characterful faces- I'm amazed they're 15mm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barks -- they're nice scuplts from Khurusan and quite easy to paint

      Delete
  7. Bravo! Your work around the eyes gives each figures a ton of character. It's nearly impossible to do consistently, amazing work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good quality brushes (DaVinci Masetro) and a good set of magnifying lenses are the secret I find

      Delete
  8. Lovely work. Sometimes of i want to diffuse the light just some tinfoil to reflect the lightsource helps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter -- I will give that a try this weekend!

      Delete
  9. These 15mm figures are so deceptive when painted with such care and in the use of colours - you want to see them as real. excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind feedback -- I've never found myself able to get into this "speedpainting" malarkey -- if anything I'm getting slower as I get more into picking up every detail 🧐

      Delete
  10. Great work on the faces. Hard enough at 28 mm for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom - maybe 15mm is easier as you don’t see the imperfections so much and blending is less of a big deal 😉

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Thanks Ray. Not the most powerful of units but they will look good on the table

      Delete
  12. Very fine 15mm figures. Excellent detailed work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous brushwork, Simon! I struggle with eyes on 28mm figures, the thought of painting on them 15mm appals me really. And they don’t even squint! Very well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the nice comment. I do like doing eyes. It’s very satisfying and almost needs a state of meditation to do them consistently (although about one in ten need painting over and redoing!)

      Delete