Monday 12 February 2024

From TeemuL: Outer Space Jungle [DIY] (35 points)

I was away for the weekend, playing boardgames and stuff (sauna was included, some did swim in the ice, but not me, and there was no sauna whisks), so I was forced to finish the minis and write this entry on Monday and quite fast.


The next stop in the Challenge Library is DIY and I went for the classic spiky cactii piece, made famous by GW in the 1990s. There are four styrofoam balls with toothpick stick to them and then painted. I covered them in PVA glue before spraying green, but some went through. The melting fits nicely to the plant deceases I was thinking about, so it is naturally not an error, but a visual representation of the hostile environment.


Speaking of hostile environment, I added 10 skulls from the GW skulls box to get more skulls for the Skull Duel and get some details on the base. Also, visual representation of the hostile environment. There's all kinds of sand, sawdust and turf on the base, too. The base itself is MDF pond base from Warbases, the edges rounded.


Here you can see two bots exploring the hostile environment. These are from Crooked Dice, Servobot B and Spybot, discount finds from some time ago. Painted mostly in metallic and contrast with little bit of highlights.


These were quite fast to paint, not so many details, although I tried to pick up lights, cables and other details in bright colours. Bases were covered in PVA before dipping in sand. After dry, soaked in Reikland Fleshshade and gentle drybrush with light grey in the end.


So now I have completed three sections of the mandatory four, quite well in the planned schedule. One more section before the grand finale. Let's see where I go next...


The jungle piece is 5"x3"x2", which means 30 cubic inches, being roughly 1/7 of a terrain cube, so three points. The bots are 28mm minis, so 10 points from them.
 
Sylvain: Nice submission this week. Your robots look goofy enough to be part of any sci-fi universe (Star Wars, WH40k, etc.) I like how simple the process of creating your scenery was, yet the result is quite satisfying. Since 1/7 or 1/6 of a cube comes up with a weird fraction for the data sheet, I settled for 1/5 (5 points). Also, I will add 20 points for the library location, which you seems to have forgotten to claim. Great start of the week for you! 

33 comments:

  1. What an iconic piece of flora!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barks, it is quite recognizable indeed.

      Delete
  2. Those melons look absolutely murderous! Sometimes the most ordinary materials seem work out the best, especially when you get unintended but positive results.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bob! They are very simple to make and I have made some of them 20 years ago.

      Delete
  3. Love the crazy looking robots and the flora looks like a real challenge for vegetarians.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Sylvain! I indeed was in a hurry, so forgot the location bonus. And those robots would likely feel home in some pulp universes, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent Sci-Fi Cactus! Very Retro!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is great Teemu - very out there and your two robots are mega Kawaii!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Simon, they are quite relatable and cute.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks Peter, they'll fit my vintage terrain nice.

      Delete
  8. A great classic gw terrain style well implemented. Made some of those myself twenty years ago. Also used styrofoam eggs for unhitched xenonpods

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, I need to buy different shapes next time. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  9. I quite like the effect of the aerosol on the foam in a couple places- it adds to the organic look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, perfect spheres would not look good. Aerosol accident was a good one.

      Delete
  10. A feast for the eyes, great work Teemu.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful terrain and exotic robots Teemu. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such classic terrain, I should make some of those myself.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice work Teeemu - the green things look like some sort of forbidden fruit!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent retro GW terrain and a lovr=ely pair of robots!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  15. I need some of those spiky balls for my 40k project! Lovely work

    ReplyDelete
  16. brilliantly quirky and nostalgic!

    ReplyDelete
  17. At first I thought you had used chestnuts! Great piece of terrain, veryeffective. The bots are cool too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Martijn! I might try chestnuts next time.

      Delete