Monday 12 February 2024

From FrederickC - Oversized Books - A Second Attempt (40 Points)

I guess it pays to read the instructions carefully to avoid unnecessary effort. Last Monday my claim on Oversized Books was denied. Apparently, in the context of the AHPC, the category was not what I thought it meant. So here is my second foray, an 80mm Stadden figure of a British Bren Gunner in Burma.

In a post back in January, JP made mention of George MacDonald Fraser. I am also a fan of his MacAuslan trilogy, and I still have a copy of 'The Steel Bonnets' on my shelves. I could never get into the Flashman series, although I did try. I guess my dislike of the character that came from my earlier reading of 'Tom Brown's School Days' could not be overcome. 

How is all this connected? Before Fraser was commissioned as an officer in the Gordon Highlanders, he had served in Burma with the 9th Battalion The Border Regiment. He wrote an account of his time with 14th Army in 'Quartered Safe Out Here'. The title of the book is a line from Kipling's poem 'Gunga Din'. The cover on the edition I read featured a soldier wearing a slouch hat and carrying a Bren gun over his shoulder. 

Private J George of the South Wales Borderers

I had a very similar figure in one of my many storage boxes. I am not sure why I bought this so many years ago. I probably just liked the pose. The figure was assembled, primed grey, and painted with Vallejo acrylics with Citadel washes of Reikland Fleshshade on the skin areas, and Nuln Oil on the gun metal of the Bren gun.





Although I am applying this miniature to the 'Oversized Books' section, it could also have been applied to 'Biography', 'Statue of a Famous Person', or 'Local History'. While the first two are pretty obvious, you are probably wondering how 'Local History' fits. After Fraser got out of the army, he emigrated to Canada and worked for a few years as a reporter for the newspaper in Brandon, Manitoba, located 200km west of Winnipeg, before returning to the UK.

My Library progress thus far:

Second time lucky?

 

The points being claimed are as follows:

1 x 80mm foot figures @ 14(?) points = 14 points 20 points

1 x Library section @ 20 points = 20 points

Sylvain: Yep, that 80mm figurine says "big" to me. At this scale, there are lots of details and you were able to pick them up nicely. As for points, I can not create a new category on the spreadsheet because Miles would thermo-nuke me, so I opted for "54mm cavalry", which is 20 points. My, you are almost done the library. Great achievement!


9 comments: