Sunday 10 March 2024

From LeeH: Empress Matilda and Stephen of Blois (Challenge Library: Local History) (30 Points)

England has a bloody and often complicated history. In the last year, I have focused on the Wars of the Roses but I could easily have looked for civil conflict on these shores back to the 12th Century and a period known as The Anarchy. Empress Matilda (also known as Empress Maude) was one of many claimants to the English Throne, although her claim was strong, as daughter and heir to the anglo-norman King, Henry I. She spent much of her early life in Germany and was married to the future Holy Roman Emperor Henry V. 

Henry I’s succession had been secure, but the future was thrown into doubt when his only legitimate son, and heir to the throne, William was drowned in the White Ship disaster in 1120. When Henry died in 1135, despite being named his heir, Matilda faced opposition from the barons. Instead, the crown was claimed by her male cousin Stephen of Blois. He was the Duke of Normandy and had inherited extensive lands in both France and England. Upon the death of the King, Stephen was quick to cross the English Channel and, with the help of his Brother the Bishop of Windsor, took the throne for himself. 


The conflict between Matilda and Stephen saw the widespread breakdown in law and order in England in a period that became known as The Anarchy. These two models were the freebies from the two Partizan shows in 2022. I largely painted these with contrast paints but I have also used some of the Vallejo Express paints, in particular Dwarf Flesh which I think is my new favourite flesh wash. 

2x28mm = 10 Points plus the 'Local History' bonus from the Challenge Library. 

Now I need to put my thinking cap on because I have no idea where to go from here in the Library. Whatever I do I had better do it quick! 

Always a lovely painting from you Lee, and more so with the history lessons behind the models/genre! 

As for next spots, perhaps a trip to literature there. Am sure there are a few books on the War of the Roses that can be used as reference? 

30 pts for now Lee
Kyle

9 comments:

  1. Great work on these fine minis. My dad lived in Hampshire and I have visited several sites connected to the Bishop of Winchester. It’s an interesting period for gaming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Figures look great. Thanks for the history behind them. Learned quite a bit about different historical periods this AHPC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great duo Lee, isn't this conflict portrayed in TV series and books Pillars of the Earth?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the backdrop to the Cadfael novels and TV series.

      Delete
  4. Splendid looking regal pair!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice painting and great to feature "The Anarchy" as a wargame period.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pair of figures Lee and sounds like a good period to explore further

    ReplyDelete