Saturday 29 December 2018

From PeteF: Old School Minifigs French Ligne (120 points)


I could almost copy and paste my first Minifigs post from Challenge VIII. Painting these old school best-scale-of-all Minifigs is always a pleasure and takes me back to my first wargaming adventures. Around forty years ago I met my best friend through wargaming and my brother and I used to take over the dining room table for days.


Why Minifigs when there are so many lovely new sculpts coming onto the market? Well, I inherited my dad's Anglo-Allied army which I am basing and preparing for some kind of giant game. On the Anglo Allied side I have nearly the whole hundred days army but I only have a few boxes of French. As far as I can tell Napoleon had about 50 regiments of ligne - with 2 or 3 battalions each - so these guys are just a drop in the bucket. But the bucket is slowly filling.

I did manage to pick up a bunch of artillery from a guy in New Zealand this year - and I think he may also have some infantry to add to the armee. If you have any old Minifigs knocking around...

Grenadier company

I enjoy the chunkiness of the Minifigs sculpts - it more than makes up for the lack of variety in poses  and uniforms/hats/equipment by today's standards. I did try doing a few conversions in metal, but it ended up being more trouble than it was worth.


Twenty four 25mm - I think we count them as 28mm for points - at 5 points each for a 120 point battalion.  And one point on the Squirrel Duel.

Skirmishers out
______________________________

Ahh, more figures for 'The Beautiful Game' and old school Minifigs to boot - tremendous stuff, Pete. The painting is nice and clean, which is not too hard with these sculpts as they are much the same. I remember this project from last year and am happy to hear that you found some more recruits in the interim. I hope your posts this year might net you additional reinforcements for Boney's force as I'd love to see this vision quest come into reality. 

This battalion of French line will give you 120 points. Great work Pete!


12 comments:

  1. “The bucket is slowly filling” - well said! Great work Pete.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always good to see some old school Minifigs brought to life

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many memories for me seeing these, just as last year. Your style is very close to mine when I was painting these by the bucket load. I do still miss them from time to time. Well done Pete!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely looking French line! Minifigs, the figures of my childhood!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some old classics. Great work on your Frenchmen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blimey!! How on earth did you paint all the tiny details on those!?! You must use a microscope!! Outstanding attention to detail :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh this one did my heart good, I love these old school Minifigs. They lack the detail and the poses are stiff, but they look bloody Marvellous! Especially with the love you’ve obviously shown them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work, as usual I'm looking forwards to a group shot at the end!

    ReplyDelete