Wednesday 26 December 2018

From Millsy - 28mm Holy Order Crusaders (126 points)

Hi Everyone!

It's GOOD to be back. This is my seventh Challenge and every year the anticipation seems worse than the year before. This time I've done far more prep than I would normally have done and that possibly made things even worse as I've not touched a brush since late November.

All that changed a few days ago and I've now knocked off my first entry of the year - 24 crusaders for a combination of SAGA and To the Strongest!. These are from the Fireforge Games plastic Foot Sergeants boxed set. I've not played with their kit before but I have to say I've enjoyed every minute of the process of assembly and painting. They are well crafted, well proportioned and have loads of variety especially when mixed with mounted sets from the same range.

Hospitaller Sergeants armed with bows
These were FFG for the most part but kit-bashed with bow arms and quivers from the Perry Miniatures Wars of the Roses infantry box set. A perfect match for size and pose. The banner pole is pinched from a Warhammer Empire knights box for variety. Shields and surcoat details are hand painted.


Technically speaking I can't use these in SAGA as the Milites Christi faction only allows for crossbows but I'll just proxy them as if they were armed correctly.



Kingdom of Jerusalem sergeants with crossbows
Straight from FFG kits with no kit-bashing apart from the kite shield with boss
which is pinched from a 1st Corps set. Shields, surcoat details and banner are hand painted.




Templar sergeants with crossbows
Straight from FFG kits with no kit-bashing apart from a sword or two pinched from GW Mordhiem sprues. Shields, surcoat details and banner are hand painted.




And here's the whole lot together. I do intend to add some static grass, tufts and small bushes but I want to see more of the army complete to gauge the right amount. I want a pretty austere look and I tend to overdo this sometimes so I'm deliberately holding back.


Next up will be some command stands plus a couple of units of sergeants and knights with hand weapons to round out the foot for the army.

There'll be a lull now while I spend the next 8 days on a beach in North Queensland. See ya later suckers in the Frozen North! :-)

PS. Apologies for not commenting on anyone's entries so far. I've been jamming the painting in between work and family stuff. I will be going back and looking at all your amazing work over the next few days.

Cheers,
Millsy


____________________________

Welcome back Millsy! I hear Santa brought you a new zippermask and something nice in vinyl (and we're not talking records). You must have been very, very bad boy this year - time to make up for it! ;P

These crusaders are just terrific. I've not tried anything from Fireforge myself, but everything I've seen on the Challenge looks great any your's here are no exception. I really like the slight modifications you've done by swapping in some Perry details and the brushwork is up to your usual high standard. Personally I like the groundwork as it is as it gives the impression of them fighting in The Levant. Perhaps just add a few brown and gold tufts to give it that arid look? I'm sure whatever you chose it'll be great.

An impressive 126 points for you as your opening Challenge sally (with a few added for the mods and hand painted livery). Well done Millsy!


24 comments:

  1. Nicely done Milsy, a good start to the painting season 👍

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent work on these stalwart defenders of Christiandom/Barbarian Infidels, I do like to see hand painted shields and surcoats! Great to have you back on board!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cracking start Millsy, enjoy that holiday

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely looking crusader types! Great painting, have fun on the beach!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice work Ive the same fellows on my table right now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving those Millsy! I've been tinkering with plastics, recently, and find it very compelling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice! I have some fireforge crusaders lined up too and yours look really inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous collection, Millsy. Wonderful paint-jobs and awesome basing too!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice! Fireforge makes some great kits.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great looking crusaders Millsy!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great work Millsy. I have some Fireforge kits lurking in the “pending” pile, I hope they turn out as nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Noice! Especially like the multiple basing options, smart thinking there!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice; I've been eyeing off some of that Fireforge stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice start Millsy! Enjoy the beaches! I'll enjoy our snow. At least there won't be a risk of sunburn!

    ReplyDelete
  15. They look excellent Millsy! I've to agree the Fireforge stuff is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic work and I think the basing really works for the setting!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Really enjoy these fellows, Millsy! The brushwork is top notch and I appreciate the hand painted Icons. Nice bit of delving through the bitz-box for equipment to, they all look as they should.
    Enjoy the beach!

    ReplyDelete