Wednesday 26 December 2018

From SimonM: "Lucid Eye Publications" Grove's Shrubs (20 Points)

These four "cartoon scale white metal figures" are produced by “Lucid Eye Publications” and are available from the company's "Toon Realms" range. Sculpted by Trish Carden and led by Yewan Grove The Treeman, I thought these miniatures would make excellent Ents for a 'Lord Of The Toons' project I currently have in mind for my tabletop.



Originally primed with two coats of "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna, the quartet were generously drenched in "The Army Painter" Strong Tone Quickshade and later dry-brushed using (more) "Vallejo" Heavy Sienna, as well as (the somewhat lighter) "Vallejo" Heavy Brown. I then 'picked out' their straggly beards with a combination of "Vallejo" Heavy Green and "Citadel" Biel-Tan Green.



All of the  humanoid-shaped shrubs' eyes were 'dotted' using a tiny dollop of "Vallejo" Heavy Ochre". Whilst the creatures' backs, which are riddled with tiny toadstools, had all this emerging fungi pigmented in "Vallejo" Heavy Red and later shaded in "Citadel" Carroburg Crimson.

____________________________

Those are some great looking entlings, Simon. Their pose makes me thing, 'Get off my lawn!' which kinda works in this setting. The bark effect is great and I like what you did with both their toadstools and their beards - groovy minis and thanks for sharing!

24 comments:

  1. I had never heard of cartoon scale before.
    Your grumpy, fist-shaking ents look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stuart. "Toon Realms" are new to me too, but I do love their range and hopefully you'll be seeing more of their minis soon :-)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Cheers Barks. Yewan Grove The Treeman should be finished soon :-)

      Delete
  3. Great work Simon. They look like how I felt getting out of bed thus morning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great looking mini ents!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  5. An entirely treemendous entry Simon :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What smashing little figures, never heard of them before but they certainly do look grand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly, Jamie. I only encountered the range the other week myself, and picked up a few lines for the AHPC.

      Delete
  7. Very original models! I like the painting

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice work Simon! They remind me of old Games Workshop Wood Elf Dryad miniatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michael. There is an old skool vibe about them.

      Delete
  9. Great to have you back at it Blaxx, I was wondering what box of weirdness you would bring forth. These grumpy "entlings" are just wonderful - I'm pretty sure that I've seen a similar expression and pose on Curt after a bad dice roll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Peter, very much appreciated indeed :-) Having not met Curt in person, I shall have to take your word for it!! LOL!!

      Delete
    2. I resemble that remark...

      Delete
  10. Great to see you back in this nice gardening extravaganza of ours Black and with such a nice shrubbery as well cheers mate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Sander, nice to be back :-)

      Delete
  11. Wonderful ents, Simon! I do like the fungus growing out of their backs and the contrast you gave it and the beards. Very nicely done!

    ReplyDelete