Wednesday 26 December 2018

From TeemuL - Army of the Dead (100 points)

Something spectacular from me this time, 20 miniatures painted in 24 hours (they were assembled and primed white before the Challenge started). Christmas Day provided a lot of small moments, when it was possible to for example wash all the models and then let them dry. Combined with a longer sessions on Christmas Eve and then Christmas Day, I finished them. I agree, they look like grey plastic on bases, but they are painted. They are the men of Dunharrow, the Oathbreakers, from Lord of the Rings, from the latest Battle of Pelennor Fields starter set to be precise (they are old designs, so they have been released earlier, but mine are from that box).

 Army of the Dead

 Some close-ups, trying to prove they are painted...


If you are interested (and why wouldn´t you?), after giving them the white primer, I painted them with Coat d´Arms Light Grey, then covered them in old Miniature Paints Dark Blue Ink (should have used more of that on these to get more contrast) and finally drybrushing with Citadel Ushbati Bone. Very simple and doesn´t look that good even live, but doable. I wanted to do something else than the greenish ghosts, which was in the movies and GW studio paints.


I really like some of the sculpts, this helmetless is one of my favourites, also the sword and shield guys with open pose are something, which I´d like to paint in colors at some time. And I really need to get myself a king to rule them - the dead one, or the living one...

20 of ghosts is 100 points. It also starts my squirreling, now I just need to check the rules, how to inform the Higher Powers properly...

_____________________________________

Teemu, that's a heap of pallid-grey dead guys. If they had rucksacks instead of armour and plastic grab-bags in place of swords and shields it would be a spitting image of the head of the queue at Salute... ;)

I'm totally sympathetic with you avoiding the now oh-so-common luminescent grey-green that we always seem to see these being trotted out with. I have this same batch waiting to be done and I may take a page from your playbook with a few variations.

100 points for 24 hours is a very tidy turnover. Well done Teemu!

15 comments:

  1. Points is points and they’re painted! At least you didn’t spray them in matte grey primer.

    All kidding aside, I like these guys and kudos for stepping outside the box. Monotone figures can be tough to paint because the amount of effort isn’t always obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... Thanks to your inspirational work I may now break open my "LoTR:BoPF" boxed set and build these beauties up, Teemu. Good idea about painting in the swords and shields of some of them in the future too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice work! I think I like your shadowy shades better than the fluorescent green ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you sure they're painted? :)

    Nice work, very subtle colour scheme, but it works well for spooky ghosts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just 3 shades of grey, but painted still. :)

      Delete
  5. I'm thinking of getting some of these. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's pretty impressive work for such a short timeframe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Painted tick! Looks like a bunch of ghosts to me!
    Best Iain

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very effective paint job, nice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great to have you back Teemu. Great looking ghosties!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well I agree with the guys above in sofar as you have proven that grey is a worthy alternative to the fluorescent green one sees all around.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do like these more than the common green. My favorite was the off white brown from GW classic range of ghosts back in the day. Your grayscale does work fine with them. ;)

    ReplyDelete